Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Santa Maria Tri Tip and Argentine Chimichurri

First time with both and have to say this was a homerun!!!  Started out when SWMBO went to Costco for a Packer Brisket but they only had flats.  Well, she said they only had flats.  That's all she could find so I made requested nicely that she ask the nearest Costco employee and he responds "Packers and flats are the same thing".......mmmmm.....ok.  Then SWMBO threw out "See..this is why I hate buying meat...this is your job".  So I say....."Yes Dear" because I've been married long enough to know when to pick my battles and this ain't even close.  Long story short - she comes home with a Tri Tip 2 Pack.  I wasn't quite sure how to do it so with a little bit of research I came up with the following which is a combination of several recipes:

Santa Maria Dry Rub:

4 garlic cloves finely minced (almost puree)

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 Tbsp Kosher Salt

2 tsp Cumin

2 tsp Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Chili Powder

2 tsp Black Pepper (freshly cracked)

3/4 tsp Cayenne

I mixed all of the above and rubbed evenly on both.  Covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for 6 hours.

Got the egg stable at 350 and cooked indirect until internal hit 125 degrees.  Removed tri tip from grill and placed on plate with foil tent while I removed plate setter and cranked egg temp to 600 (took about 2 minutes).  Placed meat back on direct heat and seared for 90 seconds per side.  Let the meat rest under foil tent for 20 minutes then sliced thin against the grain.

Meat was served with buns and choice of Chimichurri, creamy horseradish sauce or BBQ on the side. 

I have heard of Chimichurri before but never tried it.  Ohhhhhh my!!!  I think I would eat my shoe if there was enough Chimichurri to dip it in.  If you haven't made it before and like garlic then DON'T WAIT.  RUn to the store and buy any cut of beef and the ingredients.....everyone (including your tastebuds) will thank you!!!

Argentine Chimichurri:

2 bunches Italian Flatleaf Parsley (about 5 cups)

1 head garlic (approx. 20 cloves)

1 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt

1 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground)

1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

2 Tbsp Dried Oregano

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp Balsamic Reduction 

4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar

1/2 cup EVOO

1/4 cup water (approx. - may have been less)

I minced the parsley and garlic together on cutting board with chef's knife until finely minced.  Placed in bowl then added the remaining ingredients.  The water was added last to help acquire the desired consistency.  I didn't measure water so above is approximate.  The video link below was a big help although it's in Spanish (and long).    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05J7bulp9WA 

Sorry I didn't include pics but I wasn't planning on doing a write up since it was the first attempt but it was too good to keep to myself.  It'll be a gameday regular around my house so next time I'll make sure and get lots of pics so we'll all know it really happened!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Just so happens, I bought a Tri-Tip tonight and that sounds delicious, whether it happened or not... :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    I really like both but haven't tried together...great idea.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I love chimichurri, so thanks for the recipe. You are wise - married men can be either happy or right... not both! I buy all the meat, BTW, SWMBO buys the fish. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Sounds great have to book mark and try!!!! Thanks for sharing.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    You just cooked two of my favorite things.  I make either tri tip or chimichurri pretty much weekly.  Totally agree with you about the chimi (as my wife and I affectionately abbreviate it).  I'd eat it on anything.  I'd eat it alone.  Like a soup.  It's insane how good it is.  Equally insane how rarely you see it.  I also firmly believe tri tip is the most underutilized and likely the most underrated cut there is.  It might be my favorite cut of all.  Can't go wrong cooking it Santa Maria style.  Nice job! 
    Southern California
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2013

Thanks everyone.  Glad I can contribute. 

@caliking - I usually buy all the meat too but my wife's office is in same complex as Costco so much easier for her to pick up during the week.  Good thing is now she knows what to get so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. 

@bicktrav - Tri Tip is something you don't see much of here in the South.  Can't find it in grocery stores and my butcher shop doesn't even have it unless special requested.  When SWMBO rattled it off as one of the cuts on the rack I jumped because I've been on the hunt to try it.  Glad I did.  Now I'm torn because I don't know if I want it to catch on so it's more readily available or scarce so I can use it as my "secret weapon".  I can see why it's your favorite!!!  

Question to all - do you think it would be better to keep the salt out of the rub and sprinkle on just before hitting the grill??  I wasn't sure if adding salt to rub then allowing it to sit for several hours would draw out too much moisture.  May try this next time and see if I can notice a difference. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sounds great!  Bookmarked! 

I have done a Santa Maria recipe with Tri-tip from Costco and loved it.  I can get it at my local butcher but it is at least $2/lb cheaper at Costco and just as good. 

I haven't found packers at Costco or BJ's in GA. 

I see from your sig you are in Peachtree Corners.  You are not far from Restaurant Depot and they have angus packers.  You need to have a business license to shop there but if you sign up for kcbs you can shop there.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
     @SmokeyPitt - I've been seriously considering joining kcbs for that reason alone.  The only Costco where I've found packers is the one in Dunwoody.  My butcher shop sells them but for quite a bit more per pound.  Thanks

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    My wife is a huge fan of chimichurri. Loves it on tri-tip. Or flat iron. Any cut of beef.  Probably on cardboard.   :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ha.  Your story reminds me of my first visit to Costco when they opened in town last year.  There was a big arsed cryovac package of tri-tips, about 18 lbs worth I think.  I asked the meat guy how many he thought were in there.  He said two........

FWIW, I've only been back once since then and I'm letting my membership expire.  I can get crappy, ill informed service at Sam's Club and it's closer. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bicktrav
    edited November 2013

Thanks everyone.  Glad I can contribute. 

@caliking - I usually buy all the meat too but my wife's office is in same complex as Costco so much easier for her to pick up during the week.  Good thing is now she knows what to get so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. 

@bicktrav - Tri Tip is something you don't see much of here in the South.  Can't find it in grocery stores and my butcher shop doesn't even have it unless special requested.  When SWMBO rattled it off as one of the cuts on the rack I jumped because I've been on the hunt to try it.  Glad I did.  Now I'm torn because I don't know if I want it to catch on so it's more readily available or scarce so I can use it as my "secret weapon".  I can see why it's your favorite!!!  

Question to all - do you think it would be better to keep the salt out of the rub and sprinkle on just before hitting the grill??  I wasn't sure if adding salt to rub then allowing it to sit for several hours would draw out too much moisture.  May try this next time and see if I can notice a difference. 

@GATraveller I typically do salt on the oustide an hour or two before grilling.  This is in accordance with the suggestion laid out on Amazing Ribs' page.  Below is a quote from their article on how to cook the perfect steakhouse steak.  If you're interested in reading the whole article, here's a link: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

At home, salt the steaks liberally on both sides an hour or two before cooking and put them back in the fridge. Salt will pull liquid to the surface. That will dissolve the salt and then the steak will pull it back in. This is a sort of brining. I call it dry brining.

Southern California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited November 2013
    FWIW, I've only been back once since then and I'm letting my membership expire.  I can get crappy, ill informed service at Sam's Club and it's closer.  
    When I lived in Iowa, there was a small family-run chain of stores called Fareway. The pimply-faced teenagers at the meat counter knew more about meat than almost any store meat counter guy I've encountered. Having said that, the Costco meat dept guys are very helpful. Not that knowledgeable, but with some direction, you can get some nice cuts of meat. If you tell them what you're looking for specifically, usually they can find it for you. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    edited November 2013
    @bicktrav - I figured I should hold it out but went against my better judgment and included it anyway.  Next time I will rub and wrap overnight but leave out the salt till 1-2hrs ahead of time.  Also think I want to do the indirect at a lower temp for a bit longer. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chimi is my favorite beef marinade, I make it alot.  However, I've not seen it made with Balsamic redux.    That sounds good, can't wait to try that!    

I usually make mine with Cilantro, and instead of cayeene, I use my homemade chili powder, also known as "A's Chili P."  >:)
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • GATraveller
    @seeingspots - next time I will try cilantro for comparison.  I've discovered that Chimichurri is a lot like Chili - I don't know if there are more than 2 people on earth that make it the same. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bicktrav
    My chimi recipe is:

Bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley
    Bunch of Cilantro
    2-3 garlic cloves
    Dash of red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup or so olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Throw that in a cuisinart and you're set.  Takes about 5 minutes.
    Southern California
  • GATraveller
    edited November 2013
    Remembered last night I added the juice of 1 lime to the Chimi that I failed to mention in the recipe.......

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Prepared this again last Saturday for some friends who have an egg.  Half way thru the meal my buddies wife said "Don't take this the wrong way honey, but this is the best meat I've ever had off an egg....everything you cook tastes the same"  HA!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Ha.  Your story reminds me of my first visit to Costco when they opened in town last year.  There was a big arsed cryovac package of tri-tips, about 18 lbs worth I think.  I asked the meat guy how many he thought were in there.  He said two........

For reference 6-10 are usually in the cryovac at my Costco.. sounds great, but after bugging that many I still haven't done a trio tip - 2 years later haha!
  • Nice write up.  I have yet to find tri-tip in Alabama.  This is my favorite cut, as I am from CA, and spend a great deal of time in AZ, NV and CA.
    Chimi has also been a great find.  Last used on Flat Iron.  Worked great!
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Being from California I cook alot of tri-tip. That recipe is not authentic for Santa Maria where this cut became so famous but it sounds good. Will have to try it. If there is one tip I can pass after cooking countless tri tips is the reverse sear is the best way to go. I smoke mine at 250 until 135 and pull and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes uncovered. Let the egg come up to 500-600 and brush some melted garlic and butter over it and sear the heck out of it. Tri-tip medium is best between 140-145. I spill a little butter garlic on the cutting board and rest the meat on top and slice it thinly across the grain. Unbeatable. On my XL we do 7-8 at a time on my adjustable rig. Sell alot of them to friends for parties. Expensive out here. Costco is 5.99 lb but worth it. Used to be 3.99 a few years ago. Thanks for the recipe. Always wanting to try new ways
  • bicktrav
    ericp said:
    Being from California I cook alot of tri-tip. That recipe is not authentic for Santa Maria where this cut became so famous but it sounds good. Will have to try it. If there is one tip I can pass after cooking countless tri tips is the reverse sear is the best way to go. I smoke mine at 250 until 135 and pull and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes uncovered. Let the egg come up to 500-600 and brush some melted garlic and butter over it and sear the heck out of it. Tri-tip medium is best between 140-145. I spill a little butter garlic on the cutting board and rest the meat on top and slice it thinly across the grain. Unbeatable. On my XL we do 7-8 at a time on my adjustable rig. Sell alot of them to friends for parties. Expensive out here. Costco is 5.99 lb but worth it. Used to be 3.99 a few years ago. Thanks for the recipe. Always wanting to try new ways
    Just curious, is the meat still pink inside when you pull at 140-45?  Do you prefer it medium over medium rare?  Cooked some tri tip last weekend and pulled it at about 132.  It was still a little too pink inside, verging on rare.  I found that strange because usually for medium rare you pull at around 127.  I was using my thermapen, so don't think themometer inaccuracy would be to blame. 
    Southern California
  • GATraveller
    ericp said:

Thanks for the advice.  I'm a Georgia boy so Tri Tip is new to me.  Everyone who I've made this for is blown away.  Next time I'll give it a good bath in garlic butter.

@bicktrav - this last cook I pulled it at 125 and seared.  Wish I could remember the exact internal from Thermapen but think it ended up @ 135 in one and 137 on the other.  Both were a perfect medium 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bicktrav
    @GATraveller - Do you always pull 10 degrees below your target when your reverse sear?  I've always used the T Rex method with tri tips, but may try a reverse sear next time.  
    Southern California
  • ericp

@bicktrav I pull these at 140-145 and they are very red inside. Unlike a steak or such. Don't know why thought. I learned the hard way years ago. IMO anything under 140 is beyond med rare on this cut. I have tired them all and for this meat 150-153 is excellent and still very pink

@gatrav Yes, I pull 10 degrees less on this meat because it does rise a little in the first rest .I also let it rest a few minutes after the final pull 

• ericp

@gatraveller mince the garlic but not to fine and just brush a couple times with the garlic butter. I do it as I am searing the meat. It forms a beautiful crust fast enough not to overcook the inside.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW, I cooked a tri-tip until close to 137ish once and let it rise (it was probably in the 145 range after rest).  I thought it was overdone and didn't have as much pink as I wanted.  

Sounds like @GATraveller's method is already a reverse sear.  If you found a temp that works for you I would stick with it.  125 + 90 seconds per side sounds spot on to me.  Maybe GA tri-tip is different :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ericp
    I agree with @smokeypitt that whatever what ever works with you stick with it. Maybe GA tri tip is a better cut than our california cows. We go to Santa Maria every year for a big comp and they range in the 145-153 range. I have a friend who loves them very rare and we pull those at 137
  • Ericp, how long did it take to get to 135 cooking at 250?
  • GATraveller

Next time I'll pay more attention and take a few pics

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA