Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ 2 grid probe went bad

Hi All:

I have been using and loving the DigiQ and have used it about a dozen times for ribs (5 hours) and shorter cooks like chickens (350). Today the display showed the 3 dashes of death. I know some people will protect the probe wire with foil. Is it normal for the probes to go bad this soon? I ended up using the meat probe with the alligator clip on the end today.

Thanks!

Comments

• When my first probe went bad.. it was after about 18 months. I wrap both probes every time I use them. The good news... DigiQ has a 1 year warranty, so you should be okay to get it replaced. 
    I was outside of the warranty... and ponied up $25 to replace mine.

Bottom line.. if you're not wrapping the probe with foil... you shorten it's lifespan.

BOOMER!
  • I thought I've read that wrapping the probes will decrease their life span as it increases the amount of heat the unit is subject to.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Thanks for your replies! It will be replaced under warranty, but the guy where I bought it said that even a few seconds of direct flame can kill a probe and that its not the wire so much but the connection at the probe that is the weak point, so it seems wrapping the wire is not doing all that much to help, but maybe protecting the probe itself. I figure if using the PS with the grid probe, then it should be pretty safe. Maybe I got a dud who knows.