Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

I've had my so for 10 days now...on my 6th or so use...I have learned a lot... The dealer that sold my egg didn't sell BGE lump..recommended wicked good... When I ran out I got a bag of BGE at a different place...I haven't really noticed much difference but they were both 23-25 bucks per bag... Every place seems to think whatever they sell is better then the other guys... At Lowe's today I saw Cowboy for $13...I think I was something here the other day about Royal oak about the same price. My thought is the more I can save on lump...the better job I can do keeping my butcher in business... Curious to see some opinions / preferences or expectations to using lower cost lump. Thanks in advance
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    You'll find complete reviews of lump here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm and throughout this forum. For what it's worth, I've been using Royal Oak from WalMart and find it excellent and much cheaper than the BGE brand.  I think somewhere on the forum I saw that they were made by the same people.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I don't know where you live, but in NY and mid Atlantic states, Wegman's grocery stores sell 10 lb bags of lump which is made by Royal Oak for $6.29.  It is highly recommended on the Naked Whiz site.  I also use Frontier which I buy at BJ's warehouse club, $19.95 for 34 lbs.  I like it a lot and the price is great - I am definitely a value shopper.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • I've had pretty good luck with Royal Oak from WalMart. I've just started using Fogo, and I like it a lot. With free shipping from Amazon, it's not too expensive ($44 for 35 lbs).
    http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383253533&sr=8-1&keywords=fogo+charcoal
  • Thanks all...I will check out the review...I live in the Midwest in a suburb of Des Moines, Ia...not sure I've seen 10 lb bags of RO but I have seen 20 lb for p12-13 bucks...usually you get what you pay for but I wasn't sure if the name brand stuff was worth double the price.
  • I only use Mesquite and never a complaint about flavor.....I just picked up 2, 40lbs bags from our local Business Costco for $25.05 including tax....I think there is way too much hype about charcoal....I have converted several Egg owners to using Mesquite only for their charcoal.....We also don't buy bottled water for our home as many living around us do.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    For cheap, RO hands down.  Cowboy works in a pinch but very sparky, lots of ash, short burn time.
    MBGE in Charleston

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Nothing but RO so far, with great results.

Cheap and plenty available from Wally World.

One day I may try Wicked Good.  Have a dealer nearby.  But so far, no need as RO has done the trick and is cheap.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Haven't tried RO yet, but heard good things, especially for the dough.  I've found Cowboy to be decent (though not great) and can sometimes be found on sale for $9.99 for 20 lbs. 

Favorite so far has been Ozark Oak if you can get it.  Great in every way.  Just started my first bag of Rockwood and can't really give much of a review yet.  The BGE stuff is good, but way overpriced.  Worst I've tried so far has been Stubb's lump at Costco. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• BGE Lump is definitely over priced, I think everyone will agree on that. Where I bought my EGG, the guy suggested to me on using the brand he sells. (a local one) Obviously these guys are trying to make a profit and that's fine. Royal Oak works for me, it easily available at Restaurant Depot for about 75 cents per pound year around.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited October 2013
    BGE is RO.  Same same.  Comes off the same loader.

Like many things BGE branded, is a total rip off.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • I first used BGE lump but got tired of almost $30.00 a bag so I tried ROYAL OAK i dont see a difference ither then price I get 17.6 pound bag for $9.99 and I just come to find out that BGE lump is made by ROYAL OAK so for my money it's ROYAL OAK
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I get real ornery about paying >$1/lb for lump. RO is very good IMO and easily available. Other choices in my neck of the woods include B&B, Central Market, Kroger among others. I like the Central Market and Kroger brands, and try to buy them when on sale. Tried Stubbs from Costco, but there were a lot of incompletely carbonized pieces, and I didn't like the smell of it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Got a bag of BGE when I bought my egg about 5 years ago after that it's been nothing but R.O. Been wanting to try O.O.heard good things about it.
  • For what it is worth   local BJ's seasonally has Frontier  lump 35# for 19.99 which went on sale for 16.99 this fall   loaded up with 6 bags which should last through the winter.  Other than price, big difference between BGE lump is that the Frontier does not have much extraneous stuff like rocks. Ash production is about the same as BGE.

Mother ship should pay attention to the market - customer loyalty only goes so far. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Caliking... You should get some of that Ozark Oak @ 50 cents per pound... Awesome stuff.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    edited November 2013
    henapple said:
    @Caliking... You should get some of that Ozark Oak @ 50 cents per pound... Awesome stuff.
    I want some- you sold me on the idea a long time ago.  Im just bummed that I won't be able to rendezvous with you when you hit Austin -  too much going on with work for the next few weeks. 

That's ok though.  I have some RO,  BGE,  Kebroak,  and Fogo to burn through to make room for the Rockwood and double O I'm going to hoard next year! 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Go cheap and stay in business! Local butcher shops are scarse these days. Went to one of the few shops in my area to get a hog processed, the guy charged me $1/pound which is super cheap around here. His place was definitely old and outdated and not very appealing, but he's been there for as long as my in-laws remember, and I was impressed with a guy his age (probably in his 80s) still working a demanding job when he should be retired.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Anyone ever try John Henry. I've used it for a couple of years and by far my favorite! It is a 75% OAK AND 25% hickory mixed lump. Always have a hint of hickory.

• It only gets worse in Canada, but I have been looking at Fogo as well. If you look at your local Ace store in the US you should be able to find Kamado Joe Lump which is very dense high quality lump from South America. You should also have stores in your area carrying Rockwood Lump.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Hey Mike, I just started egging about 2 months ago, and exclusively used BGE lump.  Ran out of my last bag a few nights ago, and went to Wal-Mart to pickup a 10 lb. bag of RO for around 5 bucks.  I could tell a difference in the lumps after the first use. The RO seemed to fire up a lot faster, and not burn off as quickly as the BGE lump.  I love the stuff, and wont be buying a bag of anything else anytime soon.
  • Thanks everyone...really appreciate all the feedback...picked up a couple 8lb bags of RO for 6 bucks per bag ( I know I saw it cheaper at other places)...will use it when I finish up my bge bag.
  • I've used 2 bags of BGE lump in 2 years. The first bag was bought with my egg. The second bag I got was because Walmart was out of RO. I like royal oak but now I buy Humphrey in bulk and get it cheap. I haven't bought lump since April. I cook on my egg 4 days per week.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I've been using cowboy for years on my weber charcoal grill with nice results. I recently got my LBGE. And have quickly found the small lump size clogs the airholes on the bge. I also put a couple burn marks on my table from sparks. Switching to RO from Walmart.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Bamapetey said:

Anyone ever try John Henry. I've used it for a couple of years and by far my favorite! It is a 75% OAK AND 25% hickory mixed lump. Always have a hint of hickory.

I buy it at the John Henry mothership store in Houston. $15 for 20 lb bag. Nice price and pretty good charcoal.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • My local options for lump are: Amazon.com + shipping (ouch), Amazon.com + no shipping (no money saved), the BGE lump @ 29.99/bag or: BBQ galore lump (doesn't get as hot, doesn't burn as long, creates more ash and tosses more sparks than BGE) or Cowboy or Lazzari (again like BBQ galore).  BGE is so much better that now I don't bother with the others.  It'd be nice to have some Royal Oak vendors. 
    Near San Francisco in California
  • caliking
    @baychilla - Home Depot has RO now. Firecraft has some good brands including Rockwood, with free shipping over $ 100.

Otherwise consider signing up for Amazon Prime. I've saved the subscription fee many times over and the year isn't even over yet. I bought some Fogo and Kebroak for a little less than $ 1/lb, shipped free to my door in 2 days.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I only use Mesquite and never a complaint about flavor.....I just picked up 2, 40lbs bags from our local Business Costco for $25.05 including tax....I think there is way too much hype about charcoal....I have converted several Egg owners to using Mesquite only for their charcoal.....We also don't buy bottled water for our home as many living around us do.
    thailandjohn I agree.  I can get 40lb bags of mesquite at a local store called Smart and Final for 15 bucks and it's available year round. I usually have a couple of bags on hand.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RO can routinely be found at Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Walmart. Noticed yesterday our WM's website is now showing Frontier lump.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • revolver1 said:
    RO can routinely be found at Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Walmart. Noticed yesterday our WM's website is now showing Frontier lump.
    Thanks for the Tractor supply suggestion. I have been using Kamado Joe and found the lump too small for my liking, (3 bags), Don't do Wallyworld,
    Hendersonville, TN.