Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

want to make chicken noodle soup from scratch. help

Options
So I have 5.5lbs of chicken leg quarters, a stock pot, some egg noodles, onion, and couple carrots. want to make some awesome chicken noodle soup. like to make everything from scratch. any tips?
Boom

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Cook the chicken on the egg. Then de bone it cut up your veggies and if you had celery that would work also.

I like to cook my soup for about 5 or so hours and add water when it goes down, throw the noodles in about half way through the cook.

You can add what spices you desire for your taste.  You should enjoy,

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I would roast the chicken first with some good spice and smoke.  

Next step, I would cut the meat off the bones, and throw the roasted bones and skin in a pot with 3 quarts of water and let it simmer for a few hours. Then cool and skim off the fat.  The broth should be thick and gelatinous at this point.

When ready to make the soup, saute your veggies first for a few minutes until they start to soften. (onions, garlic, celery, carrots, etc).  I like them diced fairly small, but that is a personal choice. 

Add the broth, and when it is hot, check the seasoning and let it simmer for just a bit.  I would re-add the chicken and the noodles only for the last 30 minutes.  

I don't think a soup like chicken noodle benefits from a long cook - I like a little crunch in the vegetables, and the noodles not soggy.

By the way, you are starting with leg quarters, For your next cook, try a whole chicken.  There is more goodness and flavor in the stock made from simmering a whole carcass. Always include any skin you did not eat.  If you egg your Thanksgiving Turkey (or even if you don't), simmer that carcass for stock.  I always have 3-4 quarts of homemade stock in the freezer.  It's the best!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Similar to Cookinbob's suggestion with the turkey carcass, use a whole chicken and throw extra bones in.  Chicken necks are great for soup, as are beef bones.  I made some yesterday and used a whole chicken, 1/2 pound of necks, some beef bones, some big chunks of carrot, squash and parsnip, and a whole onion. Also, I don't put the noodles into the soup while cooking; I make them separately and just add to the bowl when serving.   
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Agree with Avibug and CookinBob on whole chicken. I do "cheat" just a little by adding a large can of cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's heart healthy fat free), and maybe some cut up shitake's, if the logs out back are bearing! Yum!!!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you do Egg the chicken, keep the smoke to a minimum. I've ended up tossing a couple pots of stock because the smoke flavor concentrates, and becomes unpleasant.

The quarters can be just roasted. I usually drop the chix in a slow cooker first. Don't need to add anything, but a little salt doesn't hurt, and poultry rub works well. After a few hours, the meat will be ready to fall off the bones, and there will be some nice juice that can be added into the stock.

There will also be fat and soggy skin. Save that for making schmaltz if you like.

Pull the meat from the bones. Set aside. Should be easy. Leave a little on the bones. Put those into a 350 oven till brown. I like to add a some fat, and some sliced onions but that is not neccesary.

Place the browned bones (and onion) into a stock pot w. a couple quarts of water. Or use a pressure cooker w. just as much water as needed for the final pot of soup. The standard addition to the pot is a mix of finely minced onion, carrot, and celery. Simmer for hours till the water reduces by half, or pressure cook for about an hour. Try not to let the water boil. Boiling will make the finished product cloudy. As mentioned, skim the scum away.

If you don't mind cloudy, and want more nutrition, add a few tablespoons of vinegar to the pot. That will disolve some of the bone, adding a higher mineral content.

Strain out the solids, and let the stock sit so any fat comes to the top. Remove that.

Slice/dice carrots, onion and celery, the standards. Other things can go in too. Parsnip works, tho' I think it is too sweet to use in quantity. Maybe some Italian parsley. Small quantities of sliced fennel bulb can work. A slice of ginger. Up to you.

Boil the noodles.

Add as much of the shredded chicken to the stock as you like. If the chicken was cooked in rub, most of the flavor you will want is already present. Taste and adjust. Add vegetables. Cook till they are beginning to loosing their crunch. Drain and add the noodles, and continue heating till the vegs are just barely tender.

If vinegar was not used to make the stock, add a few drops of lemon juice, and serve.

(Once you start making your own soups, most commercial stuff won't seem worth eating. Good stock by itself is a worthy goal. I hoard bones so that I can make my own.)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Chicken Noodle Soup

Servings: 10

Ingredients
    1 whole cut up chicken, no giblets
    3 cans (15 ounces each) chicken broth
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 tablespoon Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups water
    1 cup carrots, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped
    24 ounces egg noodles

Procedure
    1. Add the chicken, chicken broth, garlic, onion, oregano, Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt and salt to an 8 quart stock pot. Add enough water to cover the chicken, which will be approximately 3 cups.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes or until the chicken is done.

2. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.

3. Add the carrots and celery to the stock pot and simmer until done, approximately 30 minutes.

4. While the soup is simmering, bone the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes and return it to the stock pot.

5. Add the noodles and simmer until they are done, approximately 20 minutes.

Cooking Times
    Preparation Time: 15 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 382 calories, 73 calories from fat, 8.3g total fat, 92.3mg cholesterol, 907.3mg sodium, 390.1mg potassium, 52.3g carbohydrates, 3.2g fiber, 2.8g sugar, 23.6g protein, 45.9 points.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What @gdenby said. I would add that if you can get some backs, and bones anywhere to add to the stock it will improve the mouth feel. Just boil them first for five minutes to kill any scum causing stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    What @gdenby said. I would add that if you can get some backs, and bones anywhere to add to the stock it will improve the mouth feel. Just boil them first for five minutes to kill any scum causing stuff.
    Are you still loafing around the house?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    No, hard at work son.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Oh, me too!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    if im making this for a few meals reheated i like to make the first batch with rice and barley, then on reheats add in the noodles so they dont start falling apart
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Appreciate everything.
    So this is not something I could start after work and have for dinner it seems? I will need to do on a weekend or over multiple nights
    Boom
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

It is if you go strictly with broth. You need 6 - 8 hours to make a decent stock. Stock doesn't add a lot of flavor but adds richness.

Here is a relatively fast one. This lady makes several soups on this site and if you are interested click on more from this hero

http://how2heroes.com/videos/soups-sauces/spicy-chicken-rice-flu-chaser-soup

Steve 

Caledon, ON