Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The steak challenge

2»

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Can you provide more details on the cook?  given the investment in the meat and the stakes, I am sure you took no chances, and I don't think 2 minutes per side is not enough to get medium rare even at 800 deg (though I might be wrong

Cast iron or SS grate?  Standard level, or lower to the lump?  Meat temp when you put the on the grill?  Sear, rest and finish? reverse sear?   Details please
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Dfishel said:
    @RRP, do you have a link on how to dry age beef at home.
    Go to DrybagSteak.com
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @Dfishel - I live in Pearland, work in the Med Center. I can be over anytime you want :D

I've been meaning to try Pete's for a long time. Went there several months ago, but they were closed for renovation or something at the time. What do you like to buy there that is better than Costco or Central Market? I would love to find a place that has meaty beef ribs, but have struck out so far.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    beautiful looking steaks! 
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Inspired me to order some online! Maybe I'll try to do my own sometime...I brought it up to hubby and he is opposed to idea of the moldy meat sitting in the frig...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    @caliking, Pete's has the best beef ribs in town. I do them every year for the holidays. Instead of cutting the short ribs in half, I have him keep them as a whole slab. They had a fire in back, that's why they were closed. I love the jalapeño, cheese, bacon wrapped boneless quail. They're amazing, it might change your life.
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279

Did you do the sampling like they do wines.......swirl it around in your mouth and spit it out?

Didn't think so!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Dfishel said:
    @caliking, Pete's has the best beef ribs in town. I do them every year for the holidays. Instead of cutting the short ribs in half, I have him keep them as a whole slab. They had a fire in back, that's why they were closed. I love the jalapeño, cheese, bacon wrapped boneless quail. They're amazing, it might change your life.
    I'm on it. Nothing makes me more envious than pics of meaty beef ribs on a bbq forum. Thanks for the tip.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    @caliking, here's a picture of the beef ribs from Pete's. .