Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any vegetable soup or stew type recipes for the Egg out there?

Looking to make some sort of soup or stew this Sunday.

Any ideas?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Google Rattatouille

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Rattatouille looks interesting.

Wouldn't mind a good jambalaya as well - Tried it once but needed allot more flavor.

I dont want a chilli as I making that next weekend.

Would also love to try to make braised short ribs but dont have a clue on how to (never braised).

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2013
    You don't want vegetarian? I misunderstood. Try Coq au vin or Beef bourguignon. Don't be scared by the French names. Use chopped onion in the Coq au vin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    I dont want carbs.  But I want allot of flavor and a meal where I say - Wow that was good. 

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • robnybbq
    Forgot about that one - maybe that will be the cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Where did hap get the carb free Guinness?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

I'll echo support for Julia's Boeuf Bourginon. That's been our Xmas meal for the past 3-4 years.

I'm doing short ribs on Sunday (that's been a tradition on the Sunday before Halloween for a few years too; they get happy in the oven while we take my daughter to the neighborhood Halloween parade and then trick or treating). Pat the short ribs dry and then lightly dredge in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown them in your dutch oven and remove to a plate. Do them in batches, you don't want them crowded together, otherwise you won't get a good sear. I add a splash of cognac and scrape the pan and then add your mirepoix. I usually start with a medium sized onion, diced; and then estimate how much carrot and celery to dice (I use about half as much of each as onion). Cook until that has softened some, then add 3-4 minced garlic cloves and 1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste. Incorporate that and add your braising liquid, I usually use 1.5 C low sodium beef broth and 1.5 C red wine (I've used Pinot Noir, Zinfandel or Merlot successfullly - the key is something that is also drinkable). Bring that to a boil, add a bundle of fresh thyme and return the short ribs to the pan. Cover and bake at 325 for 2.5-3 hours, turning once in the middle if possible.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Little Steven
    Acn said:

I'll echo support for Julia's Boeuf Bourginon. That's been our Xmas meal for the past 3-4 years.

I'm doing short ribs on Sunday (that's been a tradition on the Sunday before Halloween for a few years too; they get happy in the oven while we take my daughter to the neighborhood Halloween parade and then trick or treating). Pat the short ribs dry and then lightly dredge in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown them in your dutch oven and remove to a plate. Do them in batches, you don't want them crowded together, otherwise you won't get a good sear. I add a splash of cognac and scrape the pan and then add your mirepoix. I usually start with a medium sized onion, diced; and then estimate how much carrot and celery to dice (I use about half as much of each as onion). Cook until that has softened some, then add 3-4 minced garlic cloves and 1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste. Incorporate that and add your braising liquid, I usually use 1.5 C low sodium beef broth and 1.5 C red wine (I've used Pinot Noir, Zinfandel or Merlot successfullly - the key is something that is also drinkable). Bring that to a boil, add a bundle of fresh thyme and return the short ribs to the pan. Cover and bake at 325 for 2.5-3 hours, turning once in the middle if possible.

Have you not done it on the egg? You are missing something special.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Acn said:

Have you not done it on the egg? You are missing something special.
    I haven't yet, although I may try it this weekend (at least the oven part, I'll probably still do the rest on the stove, just becasue I don't have a ton of workspace around the egg).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I'm planning on giving this a shot tomorrow.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Little Steven
    ACN, yes there is no advantage to doing the prep on the egg, just the bake. I don't cover the DO inside the egg. If I you do, you probably want to reduce the liquid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    this ones easy, all the herbs and spices are in the italian suasage already
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/532360/x/p1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    No Chaurice or kale?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733

No Chaurice or kale?
    love a good chourico and kale soup with the white beans but this one works when i dont have a smoked ham bone
    :D its got kale and carrot tops, i always wait til someones watching then in goes the carrot tops
    :)) :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I'm cooking a hungarian goulash as we speak, it's cold here too :)
    I'll post details in a bit