Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

British Egger Trying "Hog Roast"

Options
Hi all,

I got a BGE from my wife for my birthday this year (not an entirely selfless gift) and have been getting to grips with it over the past 2 months.
Successful cooks so far include the 2 finest roast chickens I have ever cooked (using a Webber vertical chicken roaster) and some exquisite roast lamb. Have also dabbled in some ABTs and Piri-Piri chicken. All awesome so far.

This weekend I tried some pulled pork which went brilliantly. Unfortunately in the UK we don't get some of the exotic cuts you guys across the pond are used to but it worked well with a boneless shoulder joint. As I couldn't be bothered going to the shops to get ingredients to make barbecue or vinegar sauce I decided to try a hog roast sandwich (popular in the UK particularly at fairs and as evening food at weddings). I made a gravy with the juices from the pork and served with crusty bread; sage onion and sausage meat stuffing and apple sauce. See the picture. It looked great and the pork was awesome, but it didn't taste great. The reason why? I had already given it an American barbecue style rub with chili powder etc. so the spice didn't go well with the gravy.

I'm going to try it again for Bonfire Night for some friends and would be grateful for ideas regarding herbs to use as a rub. I was thinking sage, dried onions and rosemary. What are your thoughts?

Also do any fellow Brits have advice regarding best supermarket to get meat from?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That sounds fantastic. Your herb selection sounds good as that you play well with the gravy. Garlic will work well too so all those with salt and pepper sounds like a plan. I'd try to keep it neutral as the pork will act as a carrier for the flavors of the gravy and stuffing. 

Your boneless shoulder joint is probably the same as a "boston butt" over here. 

Hog roast sandwich is right up my alley for fall/winter "comfort food". Do you care to share a recipe for the stuffing?

Lastly, great name and welcome to the forum! "May the hair on your toes never fall out!"
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I just use salt and pepper when I do butts, leaves the flavor profile open to many options
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    I use lemon pepper, course black pepper and a creole seasoning. Put on a llittle heavy and light on hickory smoke.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    this goes over rubs and sauces, the rub and sauce is good, the coleslaw recipe is way too sweet though. make both sauces
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobobaggins
    Options
    Some great advice guys. Thanks for the great link.

I think I will keep it simple for this one as I am going for a smokey roast pork flavour with the juiciness and texture of pulled pork rather than an all out "barbecue" flavour.

I was going to go with hickory or apple smoke. I want to try and keep the smokey flavour subtle.

I don't have a recipe for stuffing, my wife usually does it. I got some store-bought stuffing mix mixed this with 8oz of sausage meat and put it in the oven (should've really used the egg.) My wife does something very clever with various herbs/spices sausage meat, breadcrumbs and egg yolks. If you're interested google Delia Smith, she has great recipes for that kind of thing.

I will of course report back, with pictures, to let you know how it went.

P.S. I apologise in advance for my bizarre spelling and if I lapse into the metric system.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    P.S. I apologise in advance for my bizarre spelling and if I lapse into the metric system.
    You should see what the Canadians around here try and pass as the "Queen's English". Sheesh.  ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i almost think you wont get the roasted pork flavor cooking it til it pulls, maybe slice it at 180/185 will help or go with a stuffed loin and 140 degrees internal.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Hi all,

I got a BGE from my wife for my birthday this year (not an entirely selfless gift) and have been getting to grips with it over the past 2 months.
    Successful cooks so far include the 2 finest roast chickens I have ever cooked (using a Webber vertical chicken roaster) and some exquisite roast lamb. Have also dabbled in some ABTs and Piri-Piri chicken. All awesome so far.

This weekend I tried some pulled pork which went brilliantly. Unfortunately in the UK we don't get some of the exotic cuts you guys across the pond are used to but it worked well with a boneless shoulder joint. As I couldn't be bothered going to the shops to get ingredients to make barbecue or vinegar sauce I decided to try a hog roast sandwich (popular in the UK particularly at fairs and as evening food at weddings). I made a gravy with the juices from the pork and served with crusty bread; sage onion and sausage meat stuffing and apple sauce. See the picture. It looked great and the pork was awesome, but it didn't taste great. The reason why? I had already given it an American barbecue style rub with chili powder etc. so the spice didn't go well with the gravy.

I'm going to try it again for Bonfire Night for some friends and would be grateful for ideas regarding herbs to use as a rub. I was thinking sage, dried onions and rosemary. What are your thoughts?

Also do any fellow Brits have advice regarding best supermarket to get meat from?

The hogs all have the same parts regardless of the name. Shoulder roast and picnic roast, or just roast of pork all come from the shoulder of the animal. When the markets have them on sale is the time to get the meat cutter and ask for the whole primal shoulder cut. I agree with @fishlessman's recommendation on the Elder Ward rub and sauces.

Steve 

Caledon, ON