Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Bone in Turkey Breast

Options
Grillmagic
Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

I have a 8 1/2 pound Bone in Turkey Breast that I am spatching and cooking indirect at 350, any thoughts on time to get it to 160/165 I know it will cook faster than leaving it round.

Thanks

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Options
    It's on, I not only spatche'd it I removed the breast bone and cut it in half got it locked in at 350 dome plate setter in legs up rubbed with DP Ragging River
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Keep us posted...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Looks like winner, winner, turkey dinner!

Do let us know how this fine looking cook turns out.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    It was Yummy, used the pan drippings to make the gravy which pulled it all together, I'm learning!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Walk me through the gravy making please....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    henapple said:
    Walk me through the gravy making please....

Hey Henapple I wimped out on this one and I am almost to shy to share... ok I bought a 8 1/2 pound frozen bone in injected turkey breast for 99 cents a pound that included a gravy  pouch, I thawed and marinated the Turkey and cooked it indirect at 350, platesetter in legs up grilled  it skin side up with 2 big chunks of cherry with a drip pan in. Gravy was a rue of butter, flour and saute'd mushroom plus the gravy pack. The 5 of us only ate one of the breast and it was VERY GOOD. I have left overs!

I LOVE THE EGG!  

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    My guess is you'll get better (juicer) results keeping 'em whole.  Cherry smoke gives the breast a great color......

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    tjv said:
    My guess is you'll get better (juicer) results keeping 'em whole.  Cherry smoke gives the breast a great color......

WOW!!!! That looks good enough to eat...
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    tjv said:

@tjv How do you cook yours ... Temp, prep, etc.? Thanks in advance!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2013
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    tjv said:

@tjv How do you cook yours ... Temp, prep, etc.? Thanks in advance!
    I cook turkey per package instructions, just like if in the oven.  Most poultry comes with 8%-12% added solution, so no need to inject.  Too much internal liquid and the bird can get mushy. Same with chicken.  
    I don't worry about crispy skin with turkey, it's more about the presentation.  Plus more times than not, I'd probably overcook the bird trying to achieve crispy skin.

The set-up is raised grid direct..  At some point during the cook, I'll generally change to an indirect set-up.  I just watch the bottom of the bird and see how it goes to determine when to change. Skinny end of the bird away from heat on direct, then center of cooker or still away on indirect.  Easier to do on xl.

I use several chunks of cherry to get the color, no other wood.  Cherry doesn't provide overpowering flavor, so I don't worry about too much smoke on the bird.  I take the temp to mid 160s internal.  

Side note, cherry adds great color to brats and sausage too.

It is getting close to turkey time......lol

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.