Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time Pork Butt on my BGE (need rub advice)

Options
butert
butert Posts: 202
Next weekend I'm smoking my first pork butt on my XL BGE! I'm looking for a good rub to apply to the pork butt. I've heard good things about the Dizzy Dust. I also wanted to try my own rub but don't have a go to recipe. Should I go with the Dizzy Dust or come up with my own rub?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
      The Dizzy Dust is a wonderful mild BBQ rub, if you have other ideas go with it. You won't find your perfect pork butt without trying different things. Good luck and remember you can't really screw it up, just might not be the exact flavor you are looking for.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Bad Byron's was recommended to me, so I will pass the goodness along to you. It's excellent.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    i have always used "bad byrons" - and - dr bbq's rub from his book - Big-time Barbecue Cookout

mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you are interested in making your own rub, here's something that might be a starting point.

A few years ago, I collected over a hundred butt recipes from around the web. I looked at the ones that were specifically for pork, or listed as all purpose. Here's a list of the ten ingredients that showed up in at least half the recipes. Typically, the first 4 ingredients make up over half the total volume of the rub. In descending order of quantity:

sugar (usually brown)
    paprika
    salt (Kosher)
    chili powder (not clear if it means chili powder mix, or pure ground chilis)
    black pepper
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    mustard powder
    cumin
    cayenne

I mixed up a couple of batches using the average amounts I found for each. The results were, err, average.

Much of the paprika flavor fades after a long cook, even good fresh Hungarian paprika. A lot of the black pepper pungency vanishes, and the mustard flavor is negligible.

I reworked the list for something that worked better for me.

sugar
    salt
    chili powder (considering that paprika is a kind of chili, I decided the 2 ingredients kind of repeated themselves.)
    garlic powder
    black pepper
    onion powder
    cayenne

Instead of cumin and mustard, I add ginger powder and a bit of cinnamon.

Note that some recipes have very unusually items, such as cocoa, and some are almost nothing but brown sugar.

So far, I can't say I prefer my mix over several commercial varieties. My goto base is a 50-50 mix of DP Dizzy Dust adn Swamp Venom.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    I always make my own rub, it tastes better, ans I can modify it to my taste. Play around, find what you like. I think you'll be a better all around cook if you make your own.
    XL BGE
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    I replace the sugar with Splenda, but use this on everything 1/2 cup paprika 1/4 cup chilli powder 3 tbsp salt 2 tbsp ground coriander 2 tbsp garlic powder 2 tbsp curry powder 2 tbsp hot mustard powder 2 tbsp sugar 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper 2 tbsp dried basil 1 tbsp dried thyme 1 tbsp ground cumin 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

squirt yellow mustard on the pork butt, then cover it with Dizzy Dust.  Rub it all together to make kind of a paste and then cover it with saran wrap.  I typically leave it in the fridge overnight, but I've had good experiences just putting it straight on the Egg. 

I've tried Dizzy Dust, a Hawaiian sea salt rub, and I tried to make my own.  For me, Dizzy Dust destroyed the competition. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    There are lots of good rubs. Oddly enough, I like plowboys yardbird on porkbutt. Dizzy dust is just ok in my book. I like strawberrys rub too.

Little Rock, AR

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    The Memphis Dust recipe from the Amazing Ribs website is a great rub for pork butt. Makes a very nice bark.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• abpgwolf
    Options
    BTW have fun smoking your first pork butt.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's the Memphis Dust recipe. I
    like it and always have some in the pantry for ribs and butts.

Memphis Dust Recipe

Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
    Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
    3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Here's the rest of the article.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • butert
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips!  I like making my own rub most of the time but everybody is talking about this Dizzy Dust.  Do not think I will try it this time but will have to test it out in the future.

I will post some pictures and let you know how it turned out this weekend!
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    Or get another butt and try one of each :-)

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Take a large butt, cut in half and try 2 different spices or rubs. I love dizzy Dust but I get Byron's rub or Head Country so, so much cheaper. I go heavy on the rub.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • butert
    Options
    Got my pork butt rubbed up and ready for the egg. I decided to go with the Memphis Dust! Thanks @billyray & @cp92 for the advice!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Do a search on the Chris Lilly pork butt rub.  There is a recipe for it and also has a recipe for an injection.  It is money!!!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• butert
    Options
    @QDude, that looks amazing!! I will have to try that on the next butt I do, thanks for the advice!!
  • Johnnysmoker
    Options
    My first was Bad Byron's Butt Rub. However, I have gotten creative lately. I made my own rubs a few times. I am not a big fan of salt, so making my own is much more satisfying. Ground ginger, fine ground dark roast coffe, ancho chile powder, cayenne, chili powder, black pepper, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder. Just a few ideas to throw together yer own rub. Happy smoking!!
    Also, a boston butt all by itself has some amazing flavor!!
  • butert
    Options
    Just put the butt on! My first nigh cook for my first butt on the egg. Wish me luck!