Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chickens tonight

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Have had these drying in the fridge since last night. Just applied DP Raging River to one. The other will be sprayed with a Vinegar/Butter/Salt mix during the cook (favorite of the kids). Will be going raised direct 375*-400*. 5:00 can't come fast enough.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• DMW
    Options
    And here they are.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great looking birds.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DMW
    Options
    OK, here's the finished birds. Not my best effort and there were several variables I think that could have been the culprit. 1) These were free range "organic" (I didn't buy) 2) They were still a bit frozen when I put them on. 3) They finished before the rest of the meal was ready and I plated and tented them in foil. They probably sat for at least 10 minutes, maybe 15 before serving.

Flavor was great (really liked the Raging River), it was the texture that wasn't quite right. Not quite rubbery, but not right...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    I guess it would help if I remembered to attach the pictures...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Sounds like you did everything right. Was the meat or the skin no quite right? Maybe a dusting with some corn starch would help crisp up the skin a little better?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The one on the red plate looks like it would have awesome skin atleast on the wings and leg quarters. Was the skin the same consistency on both? Either way they both would get eaten at my house, nice job.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    Options
    The skin was perfect on both. It was the meat that was an odd texture. And not just the dark meat (usual challenge area), but I had a slice of breast meat that seemed really chewy as well. Not sure how else to describe it. The red plate bird was the DP Raging River, my first time using RR, loved it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do 15 minutes or so breast down to start then flip to ribs down. It crisps up the skin and speeds up the cook a little. I would never put chicken on frozen at all. Also I try to brine my poultry whenever I can its not needed but it adds alot of flavor and moisture. I would rather brine over night and pat dry to cook. The skin will crisp as long as you cook breasts down to start.
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks @Lit We took these out of the freezer Monday, thought they would have been thawed all the way though by yesterday, obviously not...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I generally go to 165-170 in breast meat. I know that is hotter than most prefer but we like it. If I am goin to pull it for tacos or soup I will run it to 175-180. Again some will say overdone but it works for us.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.