Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I check a Thermapen?

I have a thermapen that I am starting to believe is not working correctly or needs calibration.  The past few times I have used it the food was not cooked like it should have been.

A few weeks ago I cooked some steaks and the temp showed 125 on a NY strip and after pulling/sitting for 5 minutes it was pretty rare inside (ok for me).  I made a filet mignon steak as well and cooked until thermapen showed 140 and after pulling/sitting it was medium rare at best - what a waste of a meal because my wife would not eat it and the egg was shutoff already.

last night I tried it again and cooked a flank steak (~2 lbs).  I had the Egg at 500 direct and cooked the steak ~6-8 minutes on each side grate was on the firebox.  I used the thermapen and poked it side ways in multiple spots and not from the top and it was reading 140.  So I pulled and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.  It was medium rare again. - Wife hardly ate any,

What gives?  Is there a way to check the thermapen for those temps?  I guess boiling water for 212.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• That's how I would do it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Correct, a rolling boil.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • If you want to get really picky...take into account your altitude above sea level as a rolling boil will change depending on how high are. Here is a calculator to help:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

HTH

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • I have a sure-fire method of doing this, but it's very involved and hard to reproduce.  Just stick it in the mail to me and I will take care of it for you.  I'll turn it around for you in 3-4 years, tops!

:P
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ice water, boiling water, put it under your tongue.

i would be cooking your wives next steak to 155
    with the flank steak and the low cooking temp i would not expect the carryover cooking that you would expect from a thick steak or roast, theres just not that much carryover in a thin steak
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    robnybbq said:
    I have a thermapen that I am starting to believe is not working correctly or needs calibration.  The past few times I have used it the food was not cooked like it should have been.

A few weeks ago I cooked some steaks and the temp showed 125 on a NY strip and after pulling/sitting for 5 minutes it was pretty rare inside (ok for me).  I made a filet mignon steak as well and cooked until thermapen showed 140 and after pulling/sitting it was medium rare at best - what a waste of a meal because my wife would not eat it and the egg was shutoff already.

last night I tried it again and cooked a flank steak (~2 lbs).  I had the Egg at 500 direct and cooked the steak ~6-8 minutes on each side grate was on the firebox.  I used the thermapen and poked it side ways in multiple spots and not from the top and it was reading 140.  So I pulled and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.  It was medium rare again. - Wife hardly ate any,

What gives?  Is there a way to check the thermapen for those temps?  I guess boiling water for 212.
    Um, 140* is medium rare.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    heres a good chart for a 1 inch steak, cook yours less with bigger steaks and just overcook your wifes

:D

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/tips-guides/tips-facts/item/1118-meat-doneness-chart
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Go up to a digital thermostat. Open up your Thermapen. If they end the same temp, you're good.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    When you say poked it sideways, do you mean you took the steak off the grid and inserted the probe parallel to the top and bottom of the steak? If you shoved the probe in from the top, even at an angle you can get a really wonky reading. 

If you like your's to the rare side and she likes hers to the well done side, try a reverse sear and throw her's on the indirect cook 10-15 minutes before yours. It will cook, but not burn. Use temp control on yours only, her's will be just fine - Happy wife, happy life. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    robnybbq said:

Um, 140* is medium rare.
    That must be with the metric system.