Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How does Ga Mt Eggfest compare?

We just attended Eggtoberfest and had an absolute blast! As new Eggers, our eyes were opened to just how versatile this wonderful grill is, and today we've already tried out two recipes . . . And Eggtoberfest was only yesterday! Thanks, Cooks! You were great, and you really inspired us. That we'll attend the 2014 Eggtoberfest is a foregone conclusion, but it's going to be a loooooong 363 days 'til it rolls around again; thus, we're searching for alternatives. The Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds Eggfest falls at a good time for us. How does this compare to the Eggtoberfest we just attended? It's not Big Green Egg sponsored, so I'm figuring it's smaller. I'd love to hear details from anyone who's attended. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Mountain fest isn't as big but its still pretty big probably about half the size and growing every year. The venue is much better in the mountains. If I had to choose one it would be the mountain feat over eggtoberfest for sure. We cooked this weekend and will cook in the mountains again for sure.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have not been but the Mountain Fest is on top of my bucket Fest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

The GA Mtn Fest is our favorite out of all the fest we go to. It is the 2nd largest fest behind Eggtoberfest. We cook at 5-6 fests a year. There are approximately 100 cooks & 1000-1500 tasters. It isn't crowded as it is along a meandering tree lined pathway at the GA Mtn Fairgrounds. I highly recommend it if it fits the schedule...the cooks tickets sell out quickly...

Oh the Meet n Greet is a must attend also....

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I am looking forward to going to this festival this year! I had tickets last year and had to cancel at the last minute... :(
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• +1 on V1's comments.  I cooked last year at Hiawassee and found it to be a fantastic location, polite and interested tasters, great organization by Egret, really no negatives at all.  As noted, it is second biggest eggfest also, I think just over 100 eggs last year and I suspect will be more this year.

Plus--if you are buying a demo egg, I think prices at Hiawassee are the best.  I convinced my BIL to finally buy a large, and I cooked on his and hauled it back home for him.  The price, without a nest (since we were building a table), was about $625.  Also, last year they had all sizes available to purchase as demos, so great if you want something other than a large. 

• I've already gotten a room at the host hotel, but was wondering what the process is for signing up to cook.  Is it too late for 2014?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Have they announced a date for 2014?
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • It is Saturday May 17 and may 16 for m&g. Last year registration opened on jan 1 I think.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

My wife and I have attended since the beginning and after it's first year we decided it would be an annual event for us. It is our favorite and we arrive the week before and leave the Monday after the fest. If you can only attend 1 fest a year this is the one to go to. See you next May, look for the guy with the Gator head. :)

Gator-Man AKA Jupiter Jim

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    You guys have gotten me excited about this one. Probably going to go ahead and book a room tomorrow. The wife is not a camper, so I would need hotels.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • We will be there!   <:-P
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Cool Kristi...glad to hear it...Y'all wil have a blast...see y'all there... 
  • Based on all of the positive comments, I'm putting this on the calendar. Went ahead and made reservations at Lake Chatuge Lodge (hope that's the right place)? Looks like they might already be running close to capacity for that weekend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I've been wanting to attend/cook since the outset, but something has always gotten in the way.  Hoping to stay focused and see everyone in Hiawassee!!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Thank all of you for the nice comments. Registration opens at 12:00 AM, January 1st, 2014. As Kim mentioned, the cook's tickets sell out very fast.......this year they were gone in 13 hours. The host hotel is the Lake Chatuge Lodge and is the best one to book due to it's proximity to the fest, i.e., the property adjoins the GA Mt. Fairgrounds. They don't have too many rooms left due to the popularity of this fest, so you might want to get your reservations in soon.......... 
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

Wow we were at Eggtoberfest last weekend and came directly up to Hiawassee for two weeks! All this chatter about the Georgia Mountain fest has us excited about May 16th & 17th. The meet & greet is awesome with Egged food, none of that hotel food up here in the GA Mountains!!! Eggers cooking for Eggers!!!! OH Yea!!!!  \:D/

Jupiter Jim & KayNOcook

:-S

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Will definitly be there in May!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    egret said:
    Thank all of you for the nice comments. Registration opens at 12:00 AM, January 1st, 2014. As Kim mentioned, the cook's tickets sell out very fast.......this year they were gone in 13 hours. The host hotel is the Lake Chatuge Lodge and is the best one to book due to it's proximity to the fest, i.e., the property adjoins the GA Mt. Fairgrounds. They don't have too many rooms left due to the popularity of this fest, so you might want to get your reservations in soon.......... 

John,

Let me know if zippy registers. I'll come if he doesn't

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Do we know what tickets cost last year?
  • Not sure I am exactly right, but think it was like 20 for cooks, 30 for tasters, and seems like M&G was free?  Someone can correct me if wrong.

You might be inclined to think you should not have to pay to cook, but it is a primo site with covered space and electricity, and on site security all Friday night so you can do overnight cook if you want to--and I did and security was there and helpful when I came back once or twice to check temps.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Do we know what tickets cost last year?
    $10 for cooks, $20 for tasters.......
  • queued
    queued Posts: 50
    I made reservations at Lake Chatuge Lodge.  I can't wait as this will be my first eggfest.  I used to go fishing at Lake Chatuge with my grandfather when I was growing up and I'm really looking forward to the return trip.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Was 20 for tasters. And thanks to all cooks for your time and expenses you put in. Food was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN