Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting an XL

Was wondering if anybody has built a contraption to safety, and securely, transport am XL BGE.
Off the top of my head, was thinking of some cradle system to set the charcoal basket and play setter in - possibly cut with a hard-packed foam. Not sure about the egg itself. I have a Truck to transport.
Looking at moving the egg several times, over a pretty good distance, want want to make sure it's done right.

Comments

• Use the design of a table system and instead of using the brick under it, put high density rubber, secure the entire thing with rachet straps and go

So ideally, 4x4 at the corners, 2x4 wrapped around top middle and bottom and 5quartrer board to the top and cut out around it for egg dimension... Line the inside of wood with rubber or foam

Keep it simple but remove all guts from it while transporting
    Beaufort, SC
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Transferred my XL back and forth to a competition a couple years ago. Removed the guts and wrapped them in an old blanket.  Placed it in the back of the pickup into the corner. Put a grill glove in between the lid and base so it wouldn't rattle.  Strapped the whole thing down well, so again, the lid wouldn't rattle and the egg wouldn't move.  Traveled about and hour each way.  No problems at all.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    I have found pipe insulation wrap (the long tube with the slit in it) works great to keep the lid and base from making hard contact.   Cheap too    Wrap up the insides like COS mentioned
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Saw the GMC truck display at the fest.  They had an egg carrier on the hitch with an LBGE on it.  I should have snapped a pic.  The GMC guy told me he thought that this was going to be an accessory from BGE.  I entered to win it but can't imagine the cost if you had to buy one. I think it would hold an XL.  It was pretty slick....

Milton, GA.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    this involves taking it apart to build this, but... 

Build a box out of 1/2 MDF or Plywood or Strand board that is as deep as the base it at least 1-2 inches clearance on each side.  Then place the base in this box upside down. use a thin 9x12 plastic drop cloth to cover the base.  Then use probably 6-8 cans of the Great Stuff spray foam to fill it up around the base. Trim across the top and pull out of the box. Remove the base and the foam form. put the foam form back in the box and place the base in the box.  Now you can use a hand-truck to move it about.

This was off the top of my head, so let us know what you come up with... 
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    flynnbob said:

Saw the GMC truck display at the fest.  They had an egg carrier on the hitch with an LBGE on it.  I should have snapped a pic.  The GMC guy told me he thought that this was going to be an accessory from BGE.  I entered to win it but can't imagine the cost if you had to buy one. I think it would hold an XL.  It was pretty slick....

That is currently sold by BGE and transports a large but not an XL. It has been around for maybe 2-3 years.
  • Never understood having expensive breakable cargo as the point of bumper-contact in a traffic situation.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I am using SMITTYtheSMOKER's method in my race trailer and is working very nice. I saw the hitch egg carrier too and seaching online in cost more then the egg.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• flynnbob said:

That is currently sold by BGE and transports a large but not an XL. It has been around for maybe 2-3 years.

I looked into before for my large. At that time about 2 years ago I think it listed for roughly $1100 or $1200. Not worth the money IMO
    Pentwater, MI
  • Crimsongator
    Never understood having expensive breakable cargo as the point of bumper-contact in a traffic situation.

agreed
  • Crimsongator

I think it come down to the $800 range

flynnbob said:

I looked into before for my large. At that time about 2 years ago I think it listed for roughly $1100 or $1200. Not worth the money IMO

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Was wondering if anybody has built a contraption to safety, and securely, transport am XL BGE. Off the top of my head, was thinking of some cradle system to set the charcoal basket and play setter in - possibly cut with a hard-packed foam. Not sure about the egg itself. I have a Truck to transport. Looking at moving the egg several times, over a pretty good distance, want want to make sure it's done right.
    Meant to respond earlier. Check out the 2 threads below and skim through the pics. I modded my small and someone else modded their large with bigger pneumatic wheels. The inspiration was a pic of an xl modded with pneumatic wheels for transport to fests etc, a pic of which is in one of the threads.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I saw this setup at the eggfest in Athens

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • This was the 1st move with XL BGE. Needless to say, it went well. With short notice, I didn't have many option. It may not be pretty but 1 small trailer, 3 tie down straps, 3 moving blankets, and 1 roll of tape did the trick.

I am Deff doing to design a wooden crate system, with plenty of padding and handles, for future moves.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks great. I bet you got some interesting looks rolling down the road ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker