Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cow Lickin Chilli

2»

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Also another quick question, when meat is in the dutch oven at first, he says "close lid" so I am assuming this means the dutch oven lid? Surprised because it wont pick up smoke then . . ?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

NDG said:
    Also another quick question, when meat is in the dutch oven at first, he says "close lid" so I am assuming this means the dutch oven lid? Surprised because it wont pick up smoke then . . ?
    I always interpreted that as the "egg lid", aka the dome.  Dutch oven stays uncovered the entire cook when I do it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

FYI, there is a newer version of this recipe that uses semi-sweet baking chocolate instead of cocoa powder.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134671

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Great, thanks for all the help, turned out great.  I got a bar of "LINDT EXCELLENCE dark chocolate infused with spicy red chili" for christmas.  After I read your post, I threw in 4 or 5 squares on top of the hersheys I already added.  Not sure how it helped as this was first time I made BGE chili, but it is an excellent recipe.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • What size Dutch Oven is that?
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    edited October 2013

Making this today...  I am about an hour from done but will let it go a little longer.

Smells absolutely wonderful!!   I hope this is awesome.

Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • Sounds like I need to try this...thanks all for the input! I can almost smell it through the screen just looking at the pics!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    ok, going to do this now.  looks amazing.  just need to go out and get a dutch oven, any suggestions on brand and size? i have a LBGE
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have a lodge enameled 7 qt that works great on the Egg.  IIRC ~$50.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    egret said:

Ingredients

Olive Oil
    1 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck
    1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups Onion (chopped)
    1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    1 Tbls. Garlic (minced)
    1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 can Rotel
    2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
    3 Tbls. Chili Powder
    1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder
    1 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin
    1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp. dried Oregano
    3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups Beef Broth
    1 cup Dry Red Wine
    2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste Wood Chunks 

Instructions

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up). Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals. Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels. Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees F. Remove bay leaves and dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

I prefer Sundancer's

Steve 

Caledon, ON

2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)

Nice soup.  Do you have a chili recipe?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I can't emphasize how amazing this chili was. This was the first thing I cooked on my egg, and talk about starting off on the right foot! UNBELIEVABLE!!!