Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Hour into the first cook and Brisket on the LBGE...Help?

2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Griffin... Damn, get a blog.

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153

Hey...I don't think it is going to matter, it is at 250 grid and already at 196 IT.  I am going to pull it in 10 minutes if I don't get a reply.

What about seasoning on the squash, any favorites?

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You may want to stick a skewer in the flat and see if it goes in really easily. It should pull out as easily.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• txav8r

I just checked it at 198 IT where the probe was centered.  I used the thermapen and checked the whole flat and point.  The point overall was just above 190 and the flat was around 195 average.  I left it on for awhile longer...the squash is screaming cook me!

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You do know you need to rest that puppy in foil for an hour minimum right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    henapple said:
    @Griffin... Damn, get a blog. :))
    Right? I should. I should also quit stealing pics and info off the internet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Brisket report? Looks like it went well from here.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • txav8r

Let me preface this by saying I don't do all the blog and forum slang.  O.M.G...that is all I can say.  I could critique it to death, but overall, it was really unbelievable.  I really think someone snuck in and adjusted the temp and did this, because no way a rookie could have his first come out like this.  I can only attribute it to the egg and all the help you guys were today.  I had plenty of confidence and seemed to know the answers, thanks to my previous reading here and todays coaching!  I pulled her and read the temps all over when the probe said the IT was 195.  I put her back on and opened the damper a tad to compensate for having opened the egg.  I let it climb a bit and it climbed to about 270 as the brisket hit 200 IT.  I pulled it, foiled it, wrapped in a towel, put it in a thick Omaha Steaks shipping cooler, and let it rest about 2 hours.  The squash could have cooked a little longer.  I gave it an hour at 400.  The sour cream and dill potato salad was out of this world...and I took an internet recipe and altered it in hopes to make Sahlis potatoe salad, a BBQ joint in Addison years ago.  It wasn't close but what it was was damn good.  An old college buddy and his wife drove the 70 miles up from the metroplex and we had about 3 bottles of good vino, and they were here when I pulled the squash.  They were as amazed as I was with the meal. 

You guys have obviously seen this before...another guy hooked...hook, line, and sinker.  Thanks to all of you!

• Glad it all went so well for you @txav8r.

I remember a bbq place in Addison that I used to frequent back in the '80s. I'm pretty sure it was the same one you mentioned in your post but the spelling of the name (Sahlis) does not seem right to me. Are you sure that's the name of the place? That's going to be rolling around in my brain now until I can remember what it was.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Amen.  Thank you.
  • txav8r

Sahli's was on the NE corner of Addison Rd. and Beltline Rd.  I worked at Addison airport over the years several times, and it was a favorite lunch stop.  In the 80's, they remodeled and changed the name to Solly's, and the word was, no one knew how to pronouce the correct spelling of George Sahli's name, so they changed it.  They had pretty dang good bbq and an out of this world potatoe salad...had a flavor that was secret of course, that we speculated about.  It was sour cream and something, just not sure.  Plenty of local haunts around there we could talk about...how about Bic's Cafe?  Not a bbq joint, but historic none the less in that area.

So here are the dinner pics.  The brisket was moist when I took it out of the cooler and oozed when sliced.  But what remained (sliced) on the plate seemed to get dry as we went back for seconds and thirds.  It had a really nice bark with a hit of spice and heat with incredible flavor.  The smoke ring was minimal but it was sure apparent in flavor.  I used mesquite chunks and didn't add any other than the five chunks mixed in with the lump to begin with.  I think maybe the color of the ring was just thin since this was only a 8.5 pounder vs some of the larger packers.  Overall, what a treat to be able to cook something like this in a way that is easy to monitor and control.  Just what I have heard it was and I am certainly delighted with my decision to get the egg...so is the mrs., that was a tad sceptical.  I heard her say "oh wow" several times yesterday when she got home and helped me remove the brisket from the egg and wrap it...then she said, "that is incredible" a few times too.  It is always good to have support! 

• Solly's... that's exactly the place. Thanks, now I can stop trying to remember it. Don't recall Bic's Cafe but there was a fish place a little further south on Dallas Parkway that we also used to eat at. Can't remember the name of that place of hand.

Glad your brisket turned out; looks great. As you've obviously realized, it's best to only slice what you ready to eat as it will dry out faster once it is sliced.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    It is worth doing a whole brisket just to get to eat those first few slices right off the cutting board after it has rested in the cooler all wrapped!  Amazing it was!  Roast chicken spatchcock style I guess, more squash, and garlic mashed cauliflower for dinner tonight! 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    After all that reading, I'm glad to know you're a pilot. I was pronouncing txav8r "tax evader." ;) Congrats on a great brisket!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• txav8r
    Your the second guy misreading the screen name...a guy on my old boat forum thought the same.  No, I probably pay more than my share because the last thing I want is to fool around with an audit!  Been there done that...they ended up owing me $56.  But it cost me about $500 to prepare and pay my CPA to represent me.  Nothing less fair in life than an IRS audit.  You lose even if you win.