Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To sauce or not

OK, I've just done a pulled pork - 8 hours Turbo, 20 hours Low and Slo at 225. Do I slather it in sauce before serving, or let the meat speak for itself? My opinion is to serve the sauce on the side. I've dry rubbed the meat, and added smoke to create a great tasting meat. If I smother it in sauce, that will be all you taste, and I might as well as coked it n a crock pot. Thoughts?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited October 2013
    I base it on who's going to be eating it. For bigger groups of people I leave the sauce out and let them pick out the sauce they want to use. Friends and family dig the Blues Hog sauce so it gets sauced before being served with them.

Pulled pork is a great cook because most people don't have it very often, and are just happy to eat it sauced or not when being served. Can't go wrong both ways
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Sauce on the side. Just my $0.02 .

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    +1 sauces on the side!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I agree with the gentlemen who previously posted.  I like the east cost sauces, and they shine when added via plastic squeeze bottle by the end eater.  Saucing on the grill works great for ribs n chicken.  Caramelize that sheet.
    Sauce on the side! Usually have 2-3 different sauces(homemade) let the guest decide,sweet and sticky,applebutter(my favorite!)and heat and sweet! :D
  • +1 with what @nolaegghead said.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.