Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking my first pizza tonight !!

Options

I  am cooking on a Large egg and will use a large egg stone I got a few copper elbows to raise the stone off the plate setter

Any Tips ?
Toronto

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Parchment for first few minutes unless you're good with the peel and corn meal.
    Seattle, WA
  • BBQJDUB
    BBQJDUB Posts: 47
    Options
    I've only made pizza twice but from reading posts on here I would make sure that you allow the stone to heat up.  I think this is very important as it will give you the nice crust.  I've have went with corn meal both times and like the product.  If I can only get better at making more symmetrical pies!  Luckily for me, an ugly looking pie is not necessarily a bad tasting one.  

We cooked pizzas two nights ago and they were great.  I was surprised with our pear/gorgonzola/walnut/brie pizza!  It was awesome.  I will post pics next time but I was in control of cooking multiple pies this time. 

Good Luck! 
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For your first couple times don't take it up to 700* for a 5 minute cook. Start off 450*-500* until you are comfortable handling the pie on your pie on a peel. Also build your pie on the peel as fast as you possibly can. I used corn meal on the peel when I first start but have found a nice dusting of flour works just as well. Right before you put the pie on make sure you give the peel a slight shake to make sure the pie is loose on the peel and keep shaking it as you slide it on. It really helps if you have a helper to open the egg for you to put the pie on. At those temps it will take longer but you have more room for error. Another tip, you can use a flashlight and look down into the egg to see progress on the pie without opening the dome. Just be careful, hot air will be coming. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Don't forget to burp the Egg. Also, cocktails help.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Put the plate setter in with the legs up, then put your cooking grate on it.  Then the stone.  Make sure that stone gets hot.  This orientation will help spare your gasket from burning up.

I bake my pies at 450-550 depending on the type crust I use. Thin crust takes about 8 minutes, thick crust about 12-14 minutes.

Also it's important you let the pizza stone heat up after you have stabilized the temp for at least 45 minutes.

Don't be eager to put too many toppings on.You want the crust and toppings to be done at the same time.

Fresh, quality  ingredients really make the pie.

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    thanks everyone !!
    wish me luck

Toronto
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    +1 on the parchment paper... Works every time, especially with sticky dough. Looking forward to pictures
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • pantsypants
    Options
    So thanks for all the great advice . It worked perfectly !
    We made the dough and the sauce .
    Considering this was our first one in the egg I am excited about how much better it will get !!

My only issue with it is that we used crappy mozerella cheese from the supermarket and that just didnt cut it .

that said the pizza was crazy delicious and easy !!
    Toronto
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Options
    Nice!
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Very nice looking pies
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice work! Doing 5 tonight, 3 thin crust on the egg. Started the dough this morning before I ran my first ever 5K race and just divided into dough balls a bit ago.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    Options
    amazing DMW !! 
    how did your 5k race go ? ?

Toronto
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Nice pies @pantsypants!  Good work first time around.  
    Long Island, NY