Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Headed to NOLA this weekend

We're heading to New Orleans this weekend, and I was hoping to get some intel about places to eat at. We will be at a B&B on Esplanade near I-10, and will have a car.

Looking for Cajun, Creole, Creole French restaurants. Some places that we have shortlisted are:
-Commander's Palace ( Brunch on Sun) 
-Dragos
- Herbesainte
- Mr. B's Bistro
- Patois
-The Pelican Club
- Le Petite Grocery
- Lilette
- Luke, Cafe Adelaide, Stanley's for breakfast.

Thoughts?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Only thing I think your missing is eating at Nola's place!

XLBGE 
  • Be careful around where you are staying. Try Tommy's and Clancy's.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Are you staying at the B&B Five Continents on Esplanade?  
    Li’l Dizzy’s on Esplanade has delicious soul food.  The place is packed with locals at lunch -- I love places like that. :)
    Chef John Besh has a couple of restaurants -- we ate at August on our last visit and loved it. 
    Don't forget to go down to Frenchmen Street for music! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I haven't been there, but some friends went to Cochon on their last trip and couldn't stop raving about it.

I'll agree with Kristi's recommendation for John Besh's restaurants, I've had excellent meals at both August and Luke.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Crabby Jacks for po boys.  Jacque-Imos.  Haven't been to Cochon but hear its superb. 

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Jacque-Imos is a must
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Thanks for the recs everyone :)

If I showed up at nola's place, I would probably end up passed out  in a pile of Coke Zero cans, somewhere in the ManBearCave.

@Philicious - will do. Is that an unsafe area? The B&B is on Esplanade, midway between Broad/90 and I-10.

@NecessaryIndulg - thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to having some leisurely lunches. I've been to Snug Harbor (I think its on Frenchman) and had a great night.

@Acn - Been to Cochon before. I think I had a rabbit pot pie that was pretty damn good. Drinks were good too from what I can remember.

@Mickey and @Tailwind - A friend just recommended Crabby Jack's too. I'll look up Jacque-Imos too.

I have plenty to keep us busy food-wise. Otherwise we are planning on having a relatively laid-back unplanned weekend.

Thanks again!

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Been a while since I visited Nawleans.  I enjoyed Mothers for an Oyster Poboy.  and The Gumbo Shop for Gumbo and Jambalaya.

Then everywhere else on Bourbon street to forget where/who I was.

Garnerville, NY
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Go to Cochon for sure. Any of the places Chef John Folse haas anything to do with are good. And a mufuletta from Central Grocery is unbelievable. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You got my number - feel free to call. 

This is a pretty good list:

http://www.nomenu.com/joomla1/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=288&Itemid=274

check out some of these threads
    http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=R'evolution

edited October 2013
    Mr Bs Bistro is one of the best meals I've ever had...Their shrimp and grits are unbelievable. Make sure to hit cafe du monde for breakfast and beignets
  • caliking
    ok, I think I'm running out of meals for all the great places mentioned, but that was bound to happen in a place like New Orleans :)

I've been to Cafe Du Monde before, and it didn't really flick my bic. I love fried sweet things, but I'm not much of a fan of powdered sugar. Mr. B's is one of the places on the list, so maybe I'll go there for sure.

nola- just sent you an email. A friend pointed me to nomenu.com, and I'll take a look at the thread you posted.

Thanks!

• I was born and raised there and moved about 6 years ago. My folks still live there as do my in laws. No place like it in the world. I would not stay in that area.
  • caliking
    @Philicious: awww carp! That bad, huh? Trip Advisor rating was pretty high, so I though it would be fine. 

I lived in Chicago, in an area that was not the best (not the South Side), so I guess we'll take our chances now. If y'all don't hear from me next week, send out the search party!

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Have a safe trip. Hope that "mess" coming into the gulf goes east of you.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • You will know by your gut. Trust it and get the rental insurance if you are renting a car.
  • Sorry @caliking....I just got on the forum for the first time in days. I also went to NOLA this weekend for MNF. Who Dat! We ate at ACME Oyster Bar, Emeril's and Drago's. Nothing like NOLA food. Hope you had a great time. I can't wait to go back for the Saints / Cowgirls game in a month.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • nolaegghead
    caliking said:
    @Philicious: awww carp! That bad, huh? Trip Advisor rating was pretty high, so I though it would be fine. 

I lived in Chicago, in an area that was not the best (not the South Side), so I guess we'll take our chances now. If y'all don't hear from me next week, send out the search party!
    Cali - sent you a reply via email. 

Esplanade has some of the finest home in the city.  It's gets a little dicier the closer you get to I-10, but I think it's fine where you're staying - that area has been undergoing gentrification for a while - we park around there when we go to Jazz Fest.  No problems. 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Mothers. Everything is soooo good! If you go breakfast I loved the etouffee omlet
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Love the grilled oysters at Dragos, also the Acme Oyster Bar
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Some of the finest houses in the country. Still not a safe area. If you do stay there, go down the street to Cafe Degas.
    We ate at Cafe Degas last Friday.  Love that place...great atmosphere and neighborhood. 

I wouldn't walk to the quarter at night from there, but I'd put my mom in one of those B&Bs...that area is fine.  I have a buddy that's a partner in a local law firm that lives right about there...it's been on the up n up - gentrification spreading from Esplanade north of Broad down South.  Those houses sell for $$$.
    Not in NOLA proper but Great food at Deanie's in Metarie.
    Pensacola,FL
  • There is a Deanie's in NOLA Proper...1 block north of Canal and 1 block West of Bourbon. Sorry cant recall the street name right now.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • caliking
    Had a very pleasant dinner at Herbsaint.  Ok gumbo,  but killer gnocchi with pancetta and parm.  Both entrees were excellent- poached snapper with stone ground grits &  duck confit with dirty rice.  The was truly  excellent.  Dessert was a chocolate cake with sea salt caramel center,  caramel popcorn,  and cashew ice cream.  Every dish seemed to hit the right notes.  Had a great rye old fashioned too! 

Dinner at R'evolution tomorrow per nola's recommendation.