Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday's Garlic Studded Tri Tips

Options
lilwooty
lilwooty Posts: 215

Sunday I was asked to do tri tip for the in laws 55th wedding anniversary.  Decided to stud them with garlic cloves this time.

After slicing the cloves into slivers and inserting them in the meat, I hit them all with raising the steaks rub.

Last time I did tri tip, I grilled them raised direct on the XL, but this time I did not go raised.  Direct at about 400 degree dome temp.

The smaller ones were pulled after 20 minutes on each side.  130 degrees int. temp.  The bigger ones stayed on another 5 minutes.

Sorry no plated shots.  I had to pack them up and transport them to the party, but everyone raved about them.  I got 3 kisses and a marriage proposal.  The ladies liked them too!  Hah! JK

Living Large and XL

Comments

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    That is the way I made them for the first couple of years I made tri-tips. The garlic slivers give it a delicious flavor throughout. Now I make it short and sweet with a Santa Maria rub, but you've just given me a nudge to get "chef-y" again.
    Judy in San Diego
  • lilwooty
    Options
    I really like the garlic slivers too. It reminds me of when I was growing up, my mom would always do sirloin roasts that way. To me the fresh garlic adds a flavor profile that you just can't get from granulated garlic. A little time consuming but worth it from time to time.

Living Large and XL

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Yep, that reminds me of the good old days (like last year, haha). Did you cut into the tri tip to put in the garlic, or just brute force them in?

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • lilwooty
    Options
    @Black_Badger I sliced the cloves into spears and took a knife and poked into the meat and then give the knife a little twist to open a small pocket, then stuff the spear in.  I put one about every 3 inches apart or so.  I see you are from SoCal so you probably know your way around a tri tip.  I am from NorCal.

Living Large and XL

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Well, then you're closer to me than @B_B is.

But you're both safe! 

:))
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon