Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Money Muscle

Options

Is it possible to get a perfectly done money muscle when you cook a Boston Butt to 200+?  That's what I need for perfect pulled pork but it seems any slicing I try to do at that point just falls apart.  Any tricks outside of cooking a second butt just for slicing?  I have heard cut off the muscle and wrap it separately and let it sit and cool down for awhile and it will become more sliceable... any truth to that?

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    We slice our MM at 172-175 IT.  If you are simply cooking at home cut it off at that point and keep cooking the rest of the pork.  This method is against contest (KCBS) rules so this is not an option in a contest.   You have to cook multiple butts to get both.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited October 2013
    Options
    What in the name of Leonard C. Grebs are you talking about?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    The pork butt is made up of 7 muscles, find the boneand go to the opposite end of the butt is the money muscle. Its called that because when done correctly you're in the money. The photo shows sliced money muscle. 1st place pork in Williams AZ this year.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Aka "the tiger muscle". It has 4 striations that look like vertical stripes. Either opposite the bone end or the side of the boneless butt that appears more solid. The lines are the guarantee.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Aka "the tiger muscle". It has 4 striations that look like vertical stripes. Either opposite the bone end or the side of the boneless butt that appears more solid. The lines are the guarantee. image
    Thanks for the picture and description.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

We slice our MM at 172-175 IT.  If you are simply cooking at home cut it off at that point and keep cooking the rest of the pork.  This method is against contest (KCBS) rules so this is not an option in a contest.   You have to cook multiple butts to get both.
    That makes perfect sense Smitty.  I know nothing of competitions except what I see on TV, but I can't image you could slice the meat once it goes above that temp.  Even after a rest it would still fall apart because it has already been broken down.  

I might try this at home just for the heck of it- pull the $-muscle at 175ish.  Cooks treat! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@SmittytheSmoker - so in competition it needs to stay intact - so you pull the whole butt at 170ish.  What happens to the rest of the butts after turn in?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

We cook 2 smaller butts (6lbs) for the MM only.   The balance of the meat can easily be reheated and served later as leftovers. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Is MM the same as the coppa? If so, cook separate in a braise or cure. Wonderful cut from the shoulder.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx