Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9 lb. Beef Round Sirloin Top (Whole)

So my wife goes to the grocery store and decides I need a Friday afternoon BGE project. She comes home with a bowling ball of beef. All it says on the package is Angus Beef Sirloin Top Whole. 

Any suggestions? Cook it whole? Cut it in half? 

I have no idea here.

Thanks!
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• The place we had our company golf tournament last weekend did an angus sirloin about that size and it was beautiful. Literally melt in the mouth tender. I couldn't track the chef down but I'll bet it was done down around 200* for a few hours.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @ Little Steven...thank you!

Just salt & pepper and cook it low?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • As I said, I couldn't track the chef down to find out but I've never had sirloin that tender. I'm just guessing that was how he did it. It was grass fed too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• If you have a slicer I bet you could get some killer roast beef sammies from that... and then some philly cheesesteaks from that with a baking steel.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Thanks for the info...I'm sure this isn't grass fed.  :|

I was thinking of cutting off some of it and slicing it up for Philly cheesesteaks. Good idea.
  • My thinking is that when I do any roast I cook at low temps. Without searing heat they tend to stay more tender because the protein strands don't knot up as much. Now sirloin can be a real tough cut but I think with low heat it would stay tender. Can't think of another reason it was so tender. It didn't have any acid/oil feel to it so I don't think it was marinated. I'm actually going to the same place tomorrow and I'll try and track the guy down. I don't think dry aging does a lot for lean meats but maybe it was.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Grab some cheesewiz if you're doing a cheese steak! It ain't a cheese steak if it isn't "wiz with"
    Dunedin, FL
  • No it's spray cheese. I know a Philly guy. Provolone or locatelli is good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• yzzi
    edited September 2013
    The authentic places (not necessarily pat's or geno's) use the wiz. Gives a lot more flavor. A cheese steak is the only thing I'll eat that stuff with on though. Provolone is good, but it needs to be thoroughly melted and mixed with the meat. You shouldn't see melted cheese on top. That's a restaurant's fake "philly steak and cheese" not a "cheese steak"
    Dunedin, FL
  • @Little Steven, 

As I cut the package open I could see where the roast needed to be cut into 3 pieces. 1 of the pieces (after I trimmed it) looked like a beef tenderloin (a small one). So I hit with S&P and sprinkling of DP Cow Lick and let it sit for a couple of hours. Grilled it raised direct at about 300ish, turning every 5 minutes until it hit 115. 

Sliced thin against the grain it was fantastic. Not the most tender but the flavor was outstanding. 

@yzzi, my wife is from Philly and she does provolone. She's not a wiz fan for some reason. 
  • yzzi
    @eggbertsdadme same here, it's not for everyone, but provolone still makes a great cheese steak nonetheless
    Dunedin, FL
  • @Little Steven, 

As I cut the package open I could see where the roast needed to be cut into 3 pieces. 1 of the pieces (after I trimmed it) looked like a beef tenderloin (a small one). So I hit with S&P and sprinkling of DP Cow Lick and let it sit for a couple of hours. Grilled it raised direct at about 300ish, turning every 5 minutes until it hit 115. 

Sliced thin against the grain it was fantastic. Not the most tender but the flavor was outstanding. 

@yzzi, my wife is from Philly and she does provolone. She's not a wiz fan for some reason. 
    I couldn't get to the chef today but I went to my butcher later. He says they have some scientific oven that makes it come out tender. I bought a six pound roast and am going to try it tomorrow at 200*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    I tried one about 4 pounds this week.  Cooked until 200 and while fairly tender it was as dry as cardboard.   I ended up slicing it thin and marinating in some Peri Peri sauce to add to a stir fry.  It was a most excellent application.

I'd still like to know the secret to a succulent, yet tender sirloin top.

New Brunswick, Canada

• I've done whole top rounds before. They've been 18-22#. I would roast them in my bullet smoker for 8+ hrs to around 150* int temp. They would turn out med rare.
    Make great hand carved beef sandwiches.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    This is what it makes on my bge but 10 lbs was big for me
    imageimage
    Seattle, WA