Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Exact clearance of hinge on a new L BGE when open from the bottom of the egg

As the title says, I am looking for the clearance distance.  It is one of the several decisions slowing me down on getting the table done.  I am wanting to use a granite remnant slab for the top.  The fabricator I have found is discouraging me from setting the egg lower as it will require a notch cut in the top for clearance.  He has done these before and doesn't like the result he says.  He says guys have had a stainless cover made to go over the notch when not in use.  I personally think the notch is less of a hassle than having the rim of the egg a good 5 or 6 inches higher than the table.  All of this is really not a big deal, but granite is permanent and won't be able to change it after I decide.  Also, I want my shelf to be the correct height.  I know the older eggs used to sit lower, but the newer hinge caused the increase in height above the table.  What have you guys done for a work around or did you just accept it?  The more time that goes by with my egg still in the box, the more I just want to build a table out of 2x material to get it out and see what works best, make adjustments and changes to that, and settle on a more permanent design when I have some time with it.  Recommendations?
Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.

Comments

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Here is what I did. You can raise or lower the cooking surface by the paver under cooker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I wouldn't let the notch bother me...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    I don't think it would bother me, but I would still like to know the exact height with the lid open.  I guess I am going to have to unpack the egg and assemble to get the dimensions.  I didn't want to install the bands and torque them until I placed it in the table.
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Tspud1 said:

Here is what I did. You can raise or lower the cooking surface by the paver under cooker

Is that table something you modified for the egg or was that a cart designed for the egg? I really like the looks of that setup.

Albion, PA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Mine is 15 1/2". give or a little as I've had a few beers now. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Haven't measured mine in a while but I had my hinge rub my table. Seem to remember 15 3/8" to make the hinge clear the table.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • txav8r
    So the measurements you guys have...is that with a stone/paver/etc. or is that from top of table to top of supporting shelf?  Or, is it from the hinge bottom when open to the bottom of the egg?  That is the dimension I am after, the exact distance from hinge bottom with the lid open to the bottom of the egg.
  • Tspud1
    Is that table something you modified for the egg or was that a cart designed for the egg? I really like the looks of that setup.
    It's a cart made for the egg but I put the notch in all tables so the hinge can drop down into table and the egg sit down more also. Some ceramic cookers have a hinge that does not go down when lid is opened. Here are a couple morethat show the table without eggs so you can see notch and one with egg in table. See how much lower egg sits in table with a notch. Brings cooking surface down also.
  • bud812
    txav8r said:
    So the measurements you guys have...is that with a stone/paver/etc. or is that from top of table to top of supporting shelf?  Or, is it from the hinge bottom when open to the bottom of the egg?  That is the dimension I am after, the exact distance from hinge bottom with the lid open to the bottom of the egg.
    Mine is from the bottom of the egg to the bottom of the open Egg hinge. 15 1/2 "

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• txav8r
    Perfect! Thank you!
  • Tspud1
    bud812 said:
    txav8r said:
    Mine is from the bottom of the egg to the bottom of the open Egg hinge. 15 1/2 "
    What is the distance from table top to open lid(cooking surface)
  • bud812
    Don't have a table, just a nest.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• canuck19
    canuck19 Posts: 53
    did you have to make your hole bigger in diameter to set the egg lower in the table