Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuesday Night Wok session w/ Video

Options
ringkingpin
ringkingpin Posts: 260
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I did my 6th or 7th wok session.  Each time I have more fun and each time it gets a little better.  I need to cut the handle off the front of the pan so I can keep the motion down in the egg still.  
Ok, here is the weird thing, I was reading the side of the cooking oil and the last thing in the description says, "excellent choice for those TUESDAY night stirfrys."  HUH?! lol, I had to crack up over that being that it IS a Tuesday night.  
I made a video, it's way too long but I just let the camera roll, no editting.  PLEASE jump to the good parts, as I get long winded, I'm trying to show my brother what my work flow is and why.  I'm totally a neophyte when it comes to wok cooking but I'm experimenting, reading and learning.  

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    i couldn't believe that!!
     Brillat-Savarin
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Nice cook!! Looks great!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's awesome, I'm ordering a spider and wok for my XL tomorrow!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    Watched the whole video...outcome looked great. One great thing I learned from Village Idiot in his iconic woking video is the importance of Mise en place in wok cooking.

Line up all ingredients in the order of use...so you never have to pause the cooking process. I think if you implement this process, your actual cooking time will decrease and your final product will be even better.

None the less, I'd happily eat your final product so job well done.

I have one of these for my cooking oil and love it:

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/oilcanisters.html
  • hapster
    Options
    Woking goes so fast; absolute must that you have everything staged and ready to go. Even better if you can have someone else filming and shooting for you.
  • hapster
    Options
    I use a simple condiment squeeze bottle for my wok oil...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice cook. The plated shot looks delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Loved the video. Definitely doing a wok this weekend now. Great job.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I'd eat that any day. I enjoyed video too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ringkingpin
    Options
    cazzy said:
     Mise en place in wok cooking. Line up all ingredients in the order of use...so you never have to pause the cooking process.
    Thanks, that's actually exactly how I did it.  You can't see because of the camera view but off to the side, everything is lined up good to go.  That was only my 6th wok cook so I'll get better with time.  The big time hack was I forgot to open all of my little jars of "stuff" and I also forgot to get my prep dishes, twice to put my cooked ingredients in.  Another big hack was warming the rice or frying it.  I think from now on, I'll just serve warm rice or maybe no rice at all.
    I like the idea of having the oil in a squeeze bottle, thanks!  Also, I suppose I could make a little mix of all of my seasonings, good to go so I don't have to screw with that too.  Give me a month and I'll post another video, I bet I'll decrease the time by at least half, if not more.  
    This weekend I'm cutting off the front handle of the wok.  
    Thanks for the comments guys!
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    btw, can someone link me to Village Idiots woking video please?
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    You said you have a 16" wok and a large.  I'm almost certain that is a 14".  Measure the diameter.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• ringkingpin
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks, I'll measure and let you know.  I think I found your wok video, is it the one of you making gung po shrimp?
    Also found your dogs singing video, lol, very funny :)

Cazzy, thanks for the link for the oil containers, those are nice too!  I use something similar in my kitchen for olive oil.  Now I need to decide, squeeze bottle or oil container...
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks.
    Yep.
    Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy
    Options

Thanks, I'll measure and let you know.  I think I found your wok video, is it the one of you making gung po shrimp?

Also found your dogs singing video, lol, very funny :)

Cazzy, thanks for the link for the oil containers, those are nice too!  I use something similar in my kitchen for olive oil.  Now I need to decide, squeeze bottle or oil container...
    No problem! Please post the video if you can...I've been looking for it. Lol
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Cazzy, the youtube link was hidden right under my first post.  Here it is:

Brillat-Savarin
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks pretty good and I enjoyed the video (although it was a bit long, good waste of work time ;) ) Makes me want to get my wok out and get cooking. I'm no expert, but I don't think your oil should be catching on fire. You might have it a bit too hot? I noticed you have your spider legs up, have you tried it the other way? I always have mine legs down so the wok sits higher, but then I also have a bigger wok. Seems easier to manuver and manipulate that way for me. Anyway, great job and you got me craving Chinese now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Loquitur
    Options
    Did you bend the handle of the wok upward or did it come that way? Do you mind telling us where you bought it?
  • cazzy
    Options

Cazzy, the youtube link was hidden right under my first post.  Here it is:

I saw your video...was talking about VI's video.
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    ahhh, I simply googled, Village Idiot, wok and found the link:
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    hey Village Idiot, it's not a 14" wok, it's ALSO not a 16" wok, lol it's a 15" wok!

Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Loquitur said:
    Did you bend the handle of the wok upward or did it come that way? Do you mind telling us where you bought it?
    This wok actually came with a large starter set which was gifted to me from www.importfood.com  It looks like the one in the set I got is sold as a 14" wok but that's not what I measured and the wok is round, not oblong so it's 15" diameter all the way around.  Maybe woks are measured differently than id/od?  Also, I did bend the handle up some to get it to fit inside of the egg better.  
    BTW, if you like making curry, the currys that importfood sells is excellent!
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    hey Village Idiot, it's not a 14" wok, it's ALSO not a 16" wok, lol it's a 15" wok!

Hahaha.  I had put my 16" on my Large, then then my 14", and thought "hmmm, his looks like it's 15", but I didn't think they came in that size.

If you have some loose change and intend to do a lot of wokking, I would really recommend getting a 16".  That one inch makes a lot of difference in protecting yourself from the fire.

Note:  I'm expecting the usual response "that's what she said" from my comment about one inch makes a lot of difference. 
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• ringkingpin
    Options
    OK, cool, I am not averse to buying MORE stuff for the BGE.  Maybe the 15" will work better for my Medium?
    Also, I am going to try to flip the spider.  I think one of teh reasons I'm getting the flare ups is because the vaporized oils are so far down inside the egg, the wicking flames can reach around and ignite it.  If you tilt any pan with hot vaporized oil in it where there is a flame it's going to ignite.  I think it's kinda cool actually but I'm a total pyromaniac. :)
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Yeah, I have the legs down on my spider when stir frying.  It gets plenty hot that way too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy
    Options

ahhh, I simply googled, Village Idiot, wok and found the link:

Nice! I saw when it was first posted. Didn't know Mickey posted it. Thanks!
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    I also think you are too low on the egg, you need the spider legs down sitting on the dips of the fire ring!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!