Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large Green Egg Owner

Hello all, I am proud new owner of a Large BGE.  Have an assembly question for you.  There was a small bag with what appeared to be felt gasket seal in it, but nothing told me where to put it.  Does that go around the top of the hole in the lid, or in the ceramic top?  Thanks in advance for any info.
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

Congrats on the new egg!!!  If it is a short piece of gasket (12" or so), it probably goes around the smoke stack to make the daisy wheel fit tight so that it does not fall off when you open your egg.  The gaskets on the top and bottom of the egg should already be installed.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    That's what I was thinking.  Yes the top and bottom gaskets were already installed.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Boiler UP
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome and enjoy the life style.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• lantzwr
    Hotch said:
    Welcome. And remember to check your bands after each of your first few cooks.
    Oh I plan on it.  Have heard a few horror stories about lids flying off and breaking.

Boiler UP
  • fadax
    fadax Posts: 32
    edited September 2013
    welcom !,
    see this video, better than paper istruction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F82uidM3Ehk
    at 3:45 minutes you can see the short piece of gasket.
    Fausto

Milano-ITALY
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Somewhere in the instructions, it recommends going to the BGE website and watching the assembly video.  Whether it was on the video or somewhere in the boxes, I remember it saying the gasket was for the smoke stack.  My egg is still in the box as I am still working on the table.
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • lantzwr
    fadax said:
    welcom !,
    Fausto

txav8r said:
    Somewhere in the instructions, it recommends going to the BGE website and watching the assembly video.  Whether it was on the video or somewhere in the boxes, I remember it saying the gasket was for the smoke stack.  My egg is still in the box as I am still working on the table.
    Thanks.  That's a great video.  Wish mine would have come with those 4 red spacers, would have made things a little easier.

Boiler UP
  • Welcome to the world of egging and to this addictive forum.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • HorseMover
    HorseMover Posts: 174
    edited September 2013
    lantzwr said:

fadax said:

welcom !,
    Fausto

txav8r said:

Thanks.  That's a great video.  Wish mine would have come with those 4 red spacers, would have made things a little easier.

I looked and looked and thought I lost them or something but asked my brother and he didn't get the spacers either. I ended up using some door shims that were just about perfect for the gap space.
    Albion, PA
  • Put the gasket on the inside of the top edge of the daisy wheel. Not on the stack.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Put the gasket on the inside of the top edge of the daisy wheel. Not on the stack.

Why not on the stack?

Little Rock, AR

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Put the gasket on the inside of the top edge of the daisy wheel. Not on the stack.

Why not on the stack?
    I have seen it mentioned that the felt can melt off the stack during high heat burns when you
    put the rain cap on due to the trapped heat. I have the eggware cap and put the felt on the stack without issue so far, FWIW.
  • Welcome to our, now your eggin addiction world. Remember no pictures and it didn't happen.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lantzwr
    Welcome to the world of egging and to this addictive forum.

Welcome to our, now your eggin addiction world. Remember no pictures and it didn't happen.
    Thanks for the welcome.  I am going to look for a good smoked pork loin recipe to make this weekend.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Put the gasket on the inside of the top edge of the daisy wheel. Not on the stack.
    I ended up putting it on the stack like in the video.  I guess I will try your suggestion if it evers comes off.  Thanks for the info.

Boiler UP
  • txav8r
    lantzwr said:
    I ended up putting it on the stack like in the video.  I guess I will try your suggestion if it evers comes off.  Thanks for the info.

Won't the gasket also cushion the ceramic cap if the gasket is on the chimney?  I have seen some mod videos of guys putting gasket on the daisy wheel but I seem to remember there was also gasket on the chimney.  The assembly video does call for it on the chimney.  Speaking of, you guys with the stainless eggware cap think it makes cooking easier or adds anything more than cosmetics?

I failed to say welcome aboard lantzwr...welcome aboard!

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @txav8r, it keeps out rain during cooking and the only time I touch it is to adjust. No need tot take it off. It isn't the most necessary accessory ever, especially if you live in a low-rainfall area. It also doesn't change settings or fall off when opening the egg.
  • txav8r
    edited September 2013
    @txav8r, it keeps out rain during cooking and the only time I touch it is to adjust. No need tot take it off. It isn't the most necessary accessory ever, especially if you live in a low-rainfall area. It also doesn't change settings or fall off when opening the egg.

The fact it doesn't fall off is probably a big plus.  I haven't experienced my egg yet, but I have seen them fall off already in the egg store!  And it will snuff the fire and put out the coals as quick as the ceramic cap?  Also, is there a key or shortcut to using @somebody?  When try to direct it to someone, it seems a challenge vs just copy/paste but having to also hit the @ key.