Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt on BGE - total success!

Options

I have been smoking pork for a long time but finally got an egg and did it right!  It was a 7# butt and I put my own rub for an overnight and then put a nice layer on the fat cap before putting in the egg.  Had it in for just shy of 9 hours and it came out perfectly.  Great smoke ring, almost all the fat rendered out.  Hit the stall at 180 for about 2 hours after about 6 hours on the egg. Took it off and let it sit for an hour wrapped in a cooler.  Made both a vinegar based and a sweet based sauce and really didn't need either - this pig tasted GOOD!

Had my temps kind of all over the place (235 - 290) but held it around 260 for the most part.  Had to practice a slow cook as I am having 50 people over for brisket and a hootenanny in 3 weeks.  After this I think I'm ready!  I think it would have turned out a bit better with a few drams of brown liquor but really paid attention for this first low and slow - next time. . .

Glass half full vs glass half empty - either way we need to open another bottle!

Big and Mini Eggs, Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis 330

In heaven all the interesting people are missing. -  Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments