Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cottage Pie Cook

Options
A number of things to say on this cook.

Last couple of weeks have been lazy or comfort cooks because I've been sick.  Thanks for the get well wishes everyone.

I still am out of whack for portions, I just can't get the hang of not cooking for the whole family.  Maybe I wish I was still cooking for the whole family.  Fortunately I have lots of folks who are happy for my left overs.  I love giving food to folks , and my crowd are (with the exception of my daughter) all older folks living alone, who tend to just eat micowave meals.  I love providing them fresh meals.

Here's a good old simple cottage pie, one of The Spouse's favorites.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks really comforting Doc!! No need for portion control when you are making other people happy. Recipe if you don't mind, please.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    This is really easy.  Cooked loose burger, with onions and seasoning.  I like to add some ground sausage and sometimes slice kielbasa, and canned corn, but The Spouse does not so that is only when I am in bachelor mode.

Add gravy and top with mashed potatoes.  Top with cheddar (at The Spouse's request).  Bake until it bubbles.

Beef is a Cottage Pie, lamb is a Sheppard's Pie.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What type of gravy?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Any type will actually work.  I try to do savory or mushroom beef gravy.  For grins you can put some sour cream in also.  This is a very forgiving cook.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thanks.. Sounds good. Fried eggs on top would make a hearty breakfast.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EagleIII
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - Did you have kids go off to college? That is what happened to me...2 kids went off to college and I am still struggling to learn to make smaller portions, and they both left a couple years ago! The cool thing is, when they come home on a break - they always want pulled pork...so I smoke a couple butts and they are all happy!
    BTW, awesome looking Cottage Pie!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    num, num, num Chomp!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    EagleIII said:
    @Doc_Eggerton - Did you have kids go off to college? That is what happened to me...2 kids went off to college and I am still struggling to learn to make smaller portions, and they both left a couple years ago! The cool thing is, when they come home on a break - they always want pulled pork...so I smoke a couple butts and they are all happy! BTW, awesome looking Cottage Pie!
    Both graduated college two years ago, and one got married and moved out of state, while the other moved to a town about 40 miles away.  The younger visits almost every weekend so she cleans up left overs for us.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Awesome cook, Doc. One of my favorite things to eat but for some reason I never cook it. Might have to work on that this week unless you send me some of them leftovers.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings