Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My lamb shanks from yesterday

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited September 2013 in Lamb

photo DSC_0010-8.jpg

photo DSC_0014-4.jpg

photo DSC_0017-4.jpg

photo DSC_0019-5.jpg

photo DSC_0018-6.jpg

photo DSC_0022-7.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks great!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    You do some wonderful cooks.  I'm a wannabe
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That plate looks delicious! What IT did you sear the lamb to before throwing everything in the tagine?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Dude.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • That lamb is beautiful!

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking said:
    That plate looks delicious! What IT did you sear the lamb to before throwing everything in the tagine?
    It was probably 500* or so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    that looks really good, love braised lamb
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Did you find a place to get them?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    new small butcher a few miles down the street opened this summer, has great sl spares, full packers with the fat, and the shanks. havent been able to get any off those items for some time now.  stopped into the package store next door to it in tax free nh and they didnt have the beer ive been drinking, fixed that too, it was like a win win, i never get so lucky
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm wanting to cook lamb. What's most non gamey cut... For the wife
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    henapple said:
    I'm wanting to cook lamb. What's most non gamey cut... For the wife

Rack. Chops second. It takes spice well. I know Sammy the lamb guru will disagree with me but rosemary, mint sauce and garlic will cut the fattiness. If you can score a tenderloin somewhere they are the bomb. Minced lamb works with spices and it's amazing in shepherd's pie. Any Indian curry will be great but some people don't like that either. When I do the shanks I try and add sweet flavours to cut the "lambiness" a bit. Doesn't matter what I do anyway, wife and daughter won't touch it. All three boys love it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do not eat lamb. But my friend, that I would eat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I also do not eat lamb.  But my friend, I would watch Mickey eat it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Guys,

Some people just can't take the flavor. I'm not allowed to cook it inside. I've always loved it. Goat too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Same boat as Steven, I eat lamb but Cherie turns her nose up at it.  There use to be a butcher shop near us that handled lamb and they made seasoned lamb burgers patties that I really liked.

Gerhard
  • GK,

My wife has an Irish girlfriend and last time she was over I made lamb burgers for us and beef for the rest of the family. This woman was in heaven and so was I. The rest of the family nix's them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't want to paint myself as the poor boy in the ghetto eating crap, but my mother bought cheap mutton when I was growing up.  The smell (I call it stench) was unbearable to me.  After I got married, my sister in law raised a couple of lambs for the county fair, and we had one for Christmas dinner.  It was good until I smelled a faint smell of mutton, and then I pushed my plate back and could not eat any more.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Being Scots/Welsh mutton was on the menu for me too when I was growing up. Some folks like it some don't. I can't stand scrapple or chitterlings but some folks do.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I don't want to paint myself as the poor boy in the ghetto eating crap, but my mother bought cheap mutton when I was growing up.  The smell (I call it stench) was unbearable to me.  After I got married, my sister in law raised a couple of lambs for the county fair, and we had one for Christmas dinner.  It was good until I smelled a faint smell of mutton, and then I pushed my plate back and could not eat any more.
    Older animals (mutton) definitely have a more gamey flavor. If you can find young lamb ( I know - lambs are already young, but the younger the better) you may like it. Same goes for goat - the older animals taste more gamey. See if you can find cabrito around you - Mi Tienda in Houston usually has it. Cabrito shouldn't taste gamey. 

I myself am not a fan of venison, because of how gamey it tastes. I 'll eat it, but I don't crave it as such. 

@Little Steven - Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier... I was wondering what the IT of the lamb was before you pulled it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cali,

It was a braise. I just cooked it till it gave way to a fork. If you are talking about the sear, just til I had some good caramelisation.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I don't want to paint myself as the poor boy in the ghetto eating crap, but my mother bought cheap mutton when I was growing up.  The smell (I call it stench) was unbearable to me.  After I got married, my sister in law raised a couple of lambs for the county fair, and we had one for Christmas dinner.  It was good until I smelled a faint smell of mutton, and then I pushed my plate back and could not eat any more.

Should have put some Dizzy Dust on it....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN