Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Your Go To Soup or Stew for Fall?

With Fall around corner I was looking for a few great soup, corn chowder or stew recipes that you could possibly make as a "1 Pot" cook on my LBGE with a bit of smoke. Of course great chili stands alone, but I think a nice smoky corn chowder will be my first this fall. 

What's in your egg?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Green Chile Stew.  I buy a freshly-roasted bushel and freeze it every August, but you can roast just a few pods from the grocery or, if you have to, use canned.  
    1 lb sweet italian sausage (you could use egged pork butt, too)
    2 yellow onions, diced
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    28-oz can of tomatoes or use fresh if available
    1 box chicken broth
    2 or 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
    Salt & pecker to taste
    1/2 tsp cumin
    5-6 green chiles, roasted, peeled and diced

Just saute the onions in some oil, add/crumble/fry the sausage, add the garlic for 1 minute, then the tomatoes, crushing them with your favorite mashing device. Let cook in the egg for an hour or two.
    Add the spuds, seasonings, and chiles, and cook for another hour or so.  I could live on this stuff!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

French Onion & Beef Barley are 2 I like and it all starts with some beef ribs and pork bones.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1089255&catid=1

• I like Southwestern Soup and Tortilla Soup.  Here's my recipe for Tortilla Soup. You can do it in a CI DO or in a crock pot.

Soup, Tortilla

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. Chicken, boneless, cooked, shredded

1 15 oz. can Tomatoes , whole

1 10 oz. can Enchilada sauce, Old El Paso medium

1 medium Onion , chopped

1 4 oz. can Green chiles, chopped

1 clove  Garlic, minced

2 cups Water

1 14.5 oz. can Chicken broth

1 teaspoon Cumin    

1 teaspoon Chili powder

1 teaspoon Salt

1 Bay leaf

1 10 oz. pkg Corn, frozen

1 tablespoon Cilantro, chopped

Cheese, Parmesan, for garnish

1 bag Tostada chips

Directions:

1. In an electric slow cooker, combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles and garlic.  Add water, broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf.  Stir in corn. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil.  Cut tortillas into 2 1/2" x 1/2" squares.  Place on a baking sheet.  Bake, turning occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.  Sprinkle tortilla strips, cilantro and Parmesan over soup.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gumbo. Chicken and sausage or seafood.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • Sopa Azteca as Gary posted or white bean and turkey chili

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I agree Hap, a good beef stew can warm the soul on a cold winters night. And with a Guinness in hand and the stew what else is needed.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Pozole, tortilla soup, meat and bean stew- chili when I forget to add beans, beef stew(beef carbonnade, beef bourguignon), corn + potato chowder, clamp chowder.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I do a spicy chicken chili that is awesome. My wife like an Italian chicken soup I make that has zukes,carrots, chicken & squash

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Old fashioned chicken noodle, which then is converted into Italian Wedding Soup the next day. Looking forward to doing Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon on the Egg this fall.
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    In my family everyone has always made what we call stew.its just ground hamburger meat, with canned tomatoes,canned green beans ,corn,carrots,onions and potatoes.served with crackers or corn bread.by definition stew is thick. this isn't at all. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig said:

In my family everyone has always made what we call stew.its just ground hamburger meat, with canned tomatoes,canned green beans ,corn,carrots,onions and potatoes.served with crackers or corn bread.by definition stew is thick. this isn't at all. 

My Mom made something similar. Instead of potatoes, she used uncooked rice.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Brunswick stew. Simple, classic recipe.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I like a chicken dumplings recipe from cooks illustrated. I smoke the chicken and then follow the recipe.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

Hotch said:

I agree Hap, a good beef stew can warm the soul on a cold winters night. And with a Guinness in hand and the stew what else is needed.

Here's the recipe

Guinness Beef Stew

by Edward Harding

Ingredients

• 2lbs stew meat
    • 2lbs little red potatoes
    • 1 large onion chopped
    • 1/2 a bag of the baby carrots (cut them in half)
    • 1 cup of flour
    • ? of your favorite rub
    • canola oil
    • 1-1/3 cup of beef broth
    • 1 can of Guinness (may add more if additional liquid is needed)
    • 1 packet of McCormick's Beef Stew Seasoning
    • 1 can of peas
    • 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
    • Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
    • Heat the DO direct over a 350 - 400 dome temp fire... I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior with 3 chunks of Mesquite.
    • In a freezer bag, combine the flour and as much rub of your choice to taste.Add the meat and shake to thoroughly coat the beef.
    • Once coated, heat some oil in the DO and brown the meat... stirring a couple of times. When pretty browned, remove beef and add some more oil.
    • Add the onions and carrots to the pan along with a tablespoon of minced garlic. Stir occasionally and when the vegs are tender, add the seasoning packet and broth. Stir it around and be sure to loosen any stuck on goodness...
    • Add the beef back to the DO and place the potatoes in as well and stir to mix and coat everything.
    • Add the can of Guinness...
    • Let it simmer, stirring occasionally for about 1-1/4 hours with the top off. Once the potatoes are tender; add the peas and stir it to mix and let it cook for another 15 mins, season to taste with salt (kosher) and ground black pepper, and then pull it off and serve....

• @eggcelsior, what is your pozole soup recipe? I really want to make that this fall
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    One of the reasons I love fall is bringing soups, braises and hearty pasta sauce back into meal rotation. I'm really looking forward to braising on the egg, pot roast, beef burgundy, coq au vin, etc.

As far as soups I'll do chili, a veggie chili using bulger wheat to add texture, farro and white bean, a beef and Guinness stew (different from Hap's, it's more like a French onion with Guinness), corn chowder, matzo ball, chicken and rice.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mine is something simple my Mom made.  Oyster Stew.  Oysters, potatoes, milk, butter, S & P.  That's it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chicken Stew and Brunswick Stew are something we do a lot of.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Mine is something simple my Mom made.  Oyster Stew.  Oysters, potatoes, milk, butter, S & P.  That's it.
    Lake Huron oysters?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• There are no oysters in Lake Huron, fortunately Freddie is on Lake Michigan which is loaded with them. Technically they are one lake but the oysters like the south side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• There are no oysters in Lake Huron, fortunately Freddie is on Lake Michigan which is loaded with them. Technically they are one lake but the oysters like the south side.
    Frederick lives in Flint, MI.  Look at the map.  You act like you think the Great Lakes are in Canada.  Hah !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    First thing I do when the weather turns cool is to get out the stock pot. Just pulled my summer's accumulation of bones from the freezer. Most are poultry bones, so there will be some chicken and rice soup in the next few days.

As the weather gets colder, I start making Scotch broth, Hungarian goulash, and a Yiddish stew called Uman beef, which features beef, whole cranberry sauce, walnuts and soy sauce. Seemed like an odd mix to me, but the first time I made it was for my FIL, who loved cranberries, it turned out really well, and has become a winter standard.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @fletcherfam
    I use Pati Jinich's recipe from Pati's Mexican Table. It's Pozole Rojo. She also does a Pozole Verde that is on her website.

The Rojo version is on Google books, pages 84-86.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I love Hapster's Guiness beef stew. One of my favorites.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Oysters. You know, like Rocky Mountain variety. Lots of white tail deer here... Nah. My Dad was from Boston so she made it for him.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Mine is something simple my Mom made.  Oyster Stew.  Oysters, potatoes, milk, butter, S & P.  That's it.
    Oh man, my norwegian grandmother used to make that, haven't had it in decades.  Thanks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• We all love butternut squash soup around here!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs