Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT coyotes OT

had a scare with the dog and a huge coyote this morning, coyote got about 10 feet from the dog and stopped, i got to about 20 feet before it walked away, it wasnt timid at all. maybe 60 to 70 pounder. no way would the town let me shoot the thing, do they move in the fall, maybe just passing thru? 
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Where you located?
    Dunedin, FL
  • My neighbor lost her dachshund to coyotes the other night.  I have two dachshunds and keep them locked up at night, and especially when I hear their unmistakable yap/howling.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Michael, supposedly they do hunt over large areas so perhaps it was passing by, but here we back up to a 240 acre wild life preserve and they are here on a regular basis to stay. All winter I see tracks in the snow around our house plus hear them in the summer. These are brazen as well and come into neighbors garages and walk down the street. We never let our dogs out at night unless on a leash. Many neighbors have lost cats. My advice is beware since you can't kill them...besides at least those around here have the mange in a bad way!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    yzzi said:
    Where you located?
    massachusetts/ new hampshire line. almost lost my big german shepard several years ago to a pack. pack didnt stick around long so hopes its moving thru. the shepard was attacked in the fall as well. shouldnt say attacked, im sure he started it
    :)). after little steven metion wolf hi-breds i looked it up, about a third of the coyotes here are a grey wolf hi-bred.
    fukahwee maine

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If it was on my property I'd shoot it, load it up and dispose of. If you're into guns invest in a silencer. Other options... Keep the dogs in and set baited steel traps. Soak a chunk of meat in anti freeze...

What kind of town won't let you guard your property?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    RRP said:
    Michael, supposedly they do hunt over large areas so perhaps it was passing by, but here we back up to a 240 acre wild life preserve and they are here on a regular basis to stay. All winter I see tracks in the snow around our house plus hear them in the summer. These are brazen as well and come into neighbors garages and walk down the street. We never let our dogs out at night unless on a leash. Many neighbors have lost cats. My advice is beware since you can't kill them...besides at least those around here have the mange in a bad way!
    thats what im hoping, that hes moving thru. the area i run the dog has a fox that pretty much has eaten all the game, rabbits squirrels, even the wild turkeys arent there since the fox moved in
    fukahwee maine

• When we visited Little Steven this summer, there were a few "Have You Seen My Doggie?" signs in the neighborhood. I think my wife even asked about them. A coyote-wolf hybrid means too bad for Fido.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Is this the fox?

• fishlessman
    henapple said:
    If it was on my property I'd shoot it, load it up and dispose of. If you're into guns invest in a silencer. Other options... Keep the dogs in and set baited steel traps. Soak a chunk of meat in anti freeze... What kind of town won't let you guard your property?
    small lake properties, lots are 1/10 acre maximum. was on a trail setup just for walking on town property and its non huntable.
    fukahwee maine

• henapple
    1/10.... The neighbors could smell my beer/pickled egg farts... Might help with the coyotes though.
  • We've been inundated with them for the last few years. Last year they had a cull and we are just starting to hear them again. They were walking the streets in my neighbourhood a while back. I was talking to our neighbours last year and the lady told me that one of them grabbed our bichon Spike and she chased it screaming and he dropped the dog. Shortly after that I was talking to another neighbor, who had just lost her cat to coyotes,  and she said her son came to her yelling "Mom, Spike (our cat) is in a fight with a big dog" Turns out it was a coyote and Spike chased him off. I'm pretty sure the coyote had some wounds to lick.Never liked a cat in my life before this one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Just before we moved to Nashville from Denver, we had what looked like 3 or 4 take down a deer in our neighbor's front yard in the snow.  Talk about a mess that scared the neighborhood kids when they saw the blood and guts spread across the nice beautifully white snow!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Styer
    Styer Posts: 25
    I agree with @henapple I'm glad I live on 5 acres and can take them out if they are a problem.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    When I googled "Coyotes and fall" this is all I could find:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have at least a dozen or more around our place every night yipping and howeling. they pace the tree lines trying to get the dogs to chase them into the bush. A real pain in the ass. There was one old sketchy looking one last summer that kept coming into the yard, there was 6 or 7 of us sitting out by the fire one afternoon and it walked right past us, we didnt even see it. My neighbor was walking over and told us. Almost time to take care of them.However there are dozens around.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • RRP
    edited September 2013
    Almost time to take care of them.However there are dozens around.
    An Illinois Conservation Officer addressed our neighborhood association on our problem and warned us it is illegal to kill them. They can be hunted and trapped if they were on a farm killing livestock, but cats and dogs don't qualify in the eyes of the law. He also told us how they pretty much have no natural enemies here in IL other than disease which can thin them out. He also said even if you eradicate some then the remainder will merely spread out as they then have a wider hunting area. 
  • RRP said:

Almost time to take care of them.However there are dozens around.

An Illinois Conservation Officer addressed our neighborhood association on our problem and warned us it is illegal to kill them. They can be hunted and trapped if they were on a farm killing livestock, but cats and dogs don't qualify in the eyes of the law. He also told us how they pretty much have no natural enemies here in IL other than disease which can thin them out. He also said even if you eradicate some then the remainder will merely spread out as they then have a wider hunting area. 

I may be a simpleton, but I think less coyotes mean less coyote problems.

Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    mathematically speaking I fully agree - I was reciting our problem that they live, hunt and breed in this adjoining 240 acre wildlife preserve where no hunting is permitted. It really is pretty primitive and heavily wooded. We just hope they get enough to eat there and not keep looking for "take out" orders of cats and dogs!
  • It's legal to kill them here Freddie but it's illegal to have a gun to do it with. :-S

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    edited September 2013
    RRP said:
    mathematically speaking I fully agree - I was reciting our problem that they live, hunt and breed in this adjoining 240 acre wildlife preserve where no hunting is permitted. It really is pretty primitive and heavily wooded. We just hope they get enough to eat there and not keep looking for "take out" orders of cats and dogs!
    I didn't know your coyotes are from China. Very interesting.
  • Eggcelsior
    It's legal to kill them here Freddie but it's illegal to have a gun to do it with. :-S
    I am certain you have an assortment of kitchen knives that would suffice.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    None that I want to waste sticking a coyote

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    None that I want to waste sticking a coyote
    It would be quite the thread: Egging with Estébanito, Coyote Edition.
  • It's legal to kill them here Freddie but it's illegal to have a gun to do it with. :-S

Just gotta get creative!  Here's an idea.  Follow the diagram below. 

You will need to upsize the scale for a coyote (especially those big ones near you!), but I believe the concept is sound.  Next you need bait.  How about the neighbor's cat that uses your flowerbeds for a litter box?  No?  You may have to get creative here too.  All you have to do is set it up, bait it and when the coyotes are in the target zone, turn the crank (A)!  Just like that you've trapped a coyote!  I would hit that bugger over the head with a shovel and decrease the population.  If you're squeamish about that, then drug the thing and you got bait for the next time! 

Flint, Michigan
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Get a cross bow! Silent and deadly!
    Thank God I live in a state that we can actually protect ourselves and property with firearms.
    Duncan, SC
  • henapple
    I'm serious... A little anti freeze soaked brisket will thin them out.
  • fishlessman
    Mross said:
    Get a cross bow! Silent and deadly!
    Thank God I live in a state that we can actually protect ourselves and property with firearms.
    dont move to massachusetts, you have to cut your arm off to get a disability permit for a crossbow
    :)) and then i still cant use it in the yard. i was turned in for trapping squirrels once
    :D ive also been informed that the blade on my jack knife is too long to be legal to carry
    fukahwee maine

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    WOW! I live on a golf course and my neighbors would buy me drinks for killing a yote in the yard.

I feel for ya Fish. Why do you stay there?
    Duncan, SC
  • fishlessman
    henapple said:
    I'm serious... A little anti freeze soaked brisket will thin them out.
    i know what your saying but im pretty sure thats what killed my last dogs kidneys a couple years ago, one of the neighbors killing cats
    fukahwee maine