Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Theories on Small BGE Temperature Range Differences?

Options
When researching weather or not to get a Small to accompany my LBGE, I read several posts where there are some forum members that have difficulty getting the small in upper temperatures.  Quite honestly, it almost deterred my decision to get one.  Fortunately, most of my cooks are 450 or below so I figured it would not be an issue for me.

Unintentionally, I found out my small will get to the upper temps and quite quickly, too. I lit the small with the DW  and the bottom vent opened all the way.  I went inside to get some burgers ready for the grill and when I went out to check it, the temp was at almost 700.  I wasn't inside more than 15 - 20 min.  So apparently I am one of the lucky ones who don't have a problem getting to higher temps  on the small.

The question I have is, why the difference on temp ranges with some SBGE owners?  In theory, if the Egg is designed the same, then they should all perform the same or close to it.  However, I remember reading post where some people have trouble getting temps above 400.  I find this interesting. 

Any theories as to why?
Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    What brand of lump, please?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• wmcguire93
    Options
    For the particular cook I mentioned above I was using BGE lump, but I have used a Kroger brand lump with similar results.  Everything else with my small is stock BGE parts.

• golfandgrill
    Options
    I had the same concerns, but also chose to get a small. So far I have not had any issues, with BGE lump and RO lump.

On a few cooks My thermometer was going well past 650 when I started shutting it down.

I do have the highque grate in my egg. No idea why others have had issues.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My small cooks are also 450 or lower. This has got me thinking of doing a clean burn and see how high it goes and how long it takes to get there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think people mentioned something about how the fire box fit in their's, affecting air flow. I'm not sure if it was too small or tight-fitting in the base.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Never had an issue getting my small up to temp. High-que for the win! I've honestly never cooked on my small without so high temps have always been easy to reach.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I think people mentioned something about how the fire box fit in their's, affecting air flow. I'm not sure if it was too small or tight-fitting in the base.

This is correct for me. My small has a larger gap ratio around the internals than the other eggs i own. I have a medium that I bought from another person on the forum. His fire box and ring were too narrow. He could not get the medium hot, and he knows what he is doing with eggs. I bought a fire ring and a firebox, and they had a tighter fit. That medium went from a slouch to a absolute jet engine. If it is has fuel, and is left alone with the vent wide open, it will wrap the thermo around. I have modified my small before with a foil rope around the firebox to fill the gap, and expanded metal for the fire grate. This turned my small into a hot burning egg like the medium (and the others). I have considered ordering a new firebox, but I just leave my small to low heat duties while the other four sizes go nuclear. Another aspect of my small that I hated, but now love is its low heat steadiness. I pretty much leave the vent wide open, daisy wheel off, and it holds 400-500 steady every time. It gets to that temp quick too, and just stays. I cook a lot at that temp on a raised grid high into the dome, I love how everything cooks at that height and temp (except steak and pizza, those go on the big boy eggs).
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    My small cooks are also 450 or lower. This has got me thinking of doing a clean burn and see how high it goes and how long it takes to get there.

If you are going to do a clean burn, you better have gaskets on order. I blew the gaskets on our small after a clean burn.....
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2013
    Options

If you are going to do a clean burn, you better have gaskets on order. I blew the gaskets on our small after a clean burn.....
    Da, Da, Dit, Dut, Ta, DAHHHH!!!  @RRP to the rescue!  I have no gasket to speak of except the Rutland I got from RRP last month.  After the clean burn, I think I'll be ready to install it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2013
    Options

Small Clean Burn Report

This test was anecdotal.  In other words, YMMV.

I did a clean burn in my small today and noted the temp every five minutes.  I started out with the egg completely cleaned out.  I used new GFS lump made by RO and filled the egg to the top of the firebox.  The bottom vent was wide open (screen too) and the DW was off.  I lit the lump in two places and the dome remained closed for the entire test. 5 minutes - 150     10 minutes - 280     15 minutes - 420     20 minutes - 510 25 minutes - 590     30 minutes - 660     35 minutes - 680     40 minutes - 680 45 minutes - 710     50 minutes - 700     55 minutes - 740     60 minutes - 710 65 minutes - 700     70 minutes - 680     75 minutes - 650     80 minutes - 640 85 minutes - 610     90 minutes - 580     95 minutes - 550     100 minutes - 510 105 minutes - 480     End of Test As suspected, whatever I had for a gasket got toasted during the burn.  The bad smoke cleared after 15 minutes and it appears I could have had over an hour cooking pizza.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2013
    Options
    After comparing the chimney on small to the large I noticed quite a bit of difference in height givin the size difference of course but still not proportionate. I stopped at a dealer today that had all the sizes except mini and the small just seemed to have a smaller stack when trying to visually compare. Maybe crazy thinking but this could effect the draw. A few months ago someone posted a video of getting your egg to 700* in 5 mins and that guy added a length of pipe to his chimney.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wmcguire93
    Options

Small Clean Burn Report

I did a clean burn in my small today and noted the temp every five minutes.  I started out with the egg completely cleaned out.  I used new GFS lump made by RO and filled the egg to the top of the firebox.  The bottom vent was wide open (screen too) and the DW was off.  I lit the lump in two places and the dome remained closed for the entire test. 5 minutes - 150     10 minutes - 280     15 minutes - 420     20 minutes - 510 25 minutes - 590     30 minutes - 660     35 minutes - 680     40 minutes - 680 45 minutes - 710     50 minutes - 700     55 minutes - 740     60 minutes - 710 65 minutes - 700     70 minutes - 680     75 minutes - 650     80 minutes - 640 85 minutes - 610     90 minutes - 580     95 minutes - 550     100 minutes - 510 105 minutes - 480     End of Test As suspected, whatever I had for a gasket got toasted during the burn.  The bad smoke cleared after 15 minutes and it appears I could have had over an hour cooking pizza.
    I hope you had plenty of beer while watching that burn... and a spare gasket waiting in the wings.  Having said that, I just love it when someone goes the extra mile in the name of BBQ science!

• wmcguire93
    Options
    @ Mattman: Interesting comment about extending the chimney.  I'll have to look that video up, because I might have to try that on the Large. 

• Mattman3969
    edited September 2013
    Options

analyze adapt overcome

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Small Clean Burn Report

I hope you had plenty of beer while watching that burn... and a spare gasket waiting in the wings.  Having said that, I just love it when someone goes the extra mile in the name of BBQ science!
    Beers are plentiful and for some reason the formatting has gone bad.  I increased the font because I was too lazy to find my glasses and I think that's what did it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2013
    Options

Small Clean Burn Report

I did a clean burn in my small today and noted the temp every five minutes.  I started out with the egg completely cleaned out.  I used new GFS lump made by RO and filled the egg to the top of the firebox.  The bottom vent was wide open (screen too) and the DW was off.  I lit the lump in two places and the dome remained closed for the entire test. 
    5 minutes - 150

10 minutes - 280

15 minutes - 420

20 minutes - 510

25 minutes - 590

30 minutes - 660

35 minutes - 680

40 minutes - 680

45 minutes - 710

50 minutes - 700

55 minutes - 740

60 minutes - 710

65 minutes - 700

70 minutes - 680

75 minutes - 650

80 minutes - 640

85 minutes - 610

90 minutes - 580

95 minutes - 550

100 minutes - 510

105 minutes - 480

End of Test 

As suspected, whatever I had for a gasket got toasted during the burn.  The bad smoke cleared after 15 minutes and it appears I could have had over an hour cooking pizza.
    Fixed
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You are a gentleman sir!  I don't care what anyone says!
    Flint, Michigan
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Graphs are always good...I assumed 80F starting temp.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Any one know where that post or video is off hand, regarding the extended chiimney on the small? Sound's like something I might try, "just cause"... RicklesssssS in Oregon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    5 post previous

analyze adapt overcome