Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket tonight

Options
I'm just into my first year with my BGE and love it. So I finally have the courage to try my very first brisket on any type of smoker. It's an 8 pounder, so I'm putting it on at 9:00 pm tonight, which should leave me plenty of time tomorrow. I trimmed it and applied rub around noon today, but did not inject...I hope that's ok. However, I'll add water to my drip pan. I will have my Maverick ET-732 remote at my bedside, so I should catch any flare ups or burn outs. Please wish me luck, as I'm a little nervous!
Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
Naperville, IL

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    God luck. What temp are you cooking at? Make sure you have a cooler ready in case you finish early. I'll be doing my first turbo brisket starting Sunday morning.
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Make sure u have an air gap under the drip between plate setter and pan.

Stay calm and have fun!
  • CharleyR
    Options
    I hope to keep the temp in the 220-240 range. But I have to plead ignorance...I don't know what an air gap is between the setter and pan. I've always set the pan directly on setter, which uses up the whole space up to the grate. What am I missing?
    Naperville, IL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    A couple foil balls keeps the pan off the ceramic so it helps to keep the drippings from burning and giving off bad smoke to the meat
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Good luck... Pics required.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Relax, drink, and enjoy the ride.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    hapster said:
    A couple foil balls keeps the pan off the ceramic so it helps to keep the drippings from burning and giving off bad smoke to the meat
    Hard to do with an XL.  one of the only things I find a curious is the short legs on the XL platesetter does not allow for a very substantial gap for a platesetter. 
    Long Island, NY
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Good luck friend...but unless you plan on having it for breakfast, I fear that an 8 pound brisket put on at 9 o'clock at night may be done a little too early for supper!
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    They don't need to be thick at all. Mine may be just a little more than a quarter inch to a third high.
  • CharleyR
    Options
    As long as it turns out ok, I'm willing to have smoked brisket with my eggs! However, I was hoping it would take a little longer. This being my first brisket, I'm hing to establish some good timing guidelines. I read everything from "1 hr per pound plus 1" to "2 hr per pound." Hopefully I'll learn. But thanks for your support.
    Naperville, IL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you finish early and want to keep for lunch , wrap in foil, wrap in towels and put it in a cooler.  I've kept brisket hot for 6 hours with FTC.  
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    It is a lot easier to get decent results using a whole "packer" brisket, rather than a "flat". At 8 pounds, yours is likely a flat.  Packers are generally 13-16 pounds.  They are not easy to find in some communities but my Walmart has them.

Most important advice I have been given in this forum about smoking a brisket (and sometimes the hardest to follow!): enjoy the ride
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • gerhardk
    Options
    I did a similar brisket last Sunday and it turned out great.  Put it on around 2 a.m. and it was done at 1:00 p.m. served just after 5.  I always aim for less than 250º F and this one stayed steady around 230º until I boosted the airflow a little for the last hour with the temp coming close to 250º.   Pulled it when tender and internal temperature read 201º F.   Cherie thought it was my best brisket yet.

Gerhard

• CharleyR
    Options
    Actually, the butcher at Cosco said it was a packer, as I was surprised at the weight myself. Here's a picture...I'm no expert, but isn't this point and flat?
    Naperville, IL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Sounds like you are on the right path. Good luck.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Don_Piero
    Options
    Cooked my first last night. It was 10.5lb. Had it on at 8:30am for about 10 hours at 225. It stalled at 160 so my experienced brisket buddy told me to wrap it up and finish it in the oven, as I had 10 cigar guys coming over for 7pm.  Came out great. Finished with a spicey homemade sauce made by my buddy who wouldn't share his recipe~X(
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Sounds great.  

Choice of friends:

Finished with a spicey homemade sauce made by my buddy who wouldn't share his recipe~X(

Not willing to share his receipe?  equals the last invitation---?  Buddy???
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    radamo said:
    hapster said:
    Hard to do with an XL.  one of the only things I find a curious is the short legs on the XL platesetter does not allow for a very substantial gap for a platesetter. 
    I bought a 3' piece of 1/2" aluminum angle at Home Depot for about 5 bucks.  Cut it into thirds, and put the pieces between the platesetter and the drip pan.  Way cheaper than copper fittings that some use.  a few 3/8" bolts will work also
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    It just occurred to me that your problem is that your drip pan is too high/deep for the XL.  I use a disposable but heavyweight aluminum tray bought at the grocery store, about 15 x 15" and maybe only 1" deep - it is supposed to be for a cold cut or veggie platter I think.  I have cleaned and re-used this one several times.  You can see it in the pic below.   

Note I do put water in my drip pan to keep the drippings from burning which they do anyway even with the spacer.  On a longer cook, I will add water to the pan if it is getting dry
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY