Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb & Brisket cook (lot of pics)

I stopped by Restaurant Depot to pick up a packer and noticed a sale on leg of lamb at $3.19/lb. I picked up this Aussie bred 7.2 lb leg: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Cleaned up the meat side and removed the aitch bone: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Stuck slivers of garlic & rosemary into slits in the leg: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Vacuum sealed the leg in a marinade consisting of: fresh thyme, oregano, rosemary, crushed & minced garlic, lemon zest & juice, kosher salt, and EVOO. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
The next morning the leg got a light coat of Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
The leg joined the packer on the XL Egg running at 345 degrees: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Pulled the leg at an IT of 120 and gave it a quick sear on the Large Egg: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Aimed to pull it off in the 132-135 range: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
After a 15 minute rest I made the first slice: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Then sliced it up: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Plated it for lunch with a quinoa salad & some hobo veggies (fingerling potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, etc...): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
The packer brisket was sliced for dinner: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
With the exception of overeating, it was a great day!
Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    That lamb looks amazing! I cannot wait to do that cook... The brisket looks pretty good too!

Wow! 5 Stars! Thanks for sharing!

:)
  • I have always wanted to make a leg of lamb but I would be the only one eating nobody else seems to care for it.  That is the best looking smoke ring I have seen from the egg, you didn't cheat by using curing salt did you?  Mine usually has the start of a smoke ring but not well defined like yours.

Gerhard
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    ^:)^

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    No curing salt was applied to the brisket. It spent the first two hours smoking with oak & cherry wood at about 190. It went on cold from the fridge and I spritzed it with water a couple of times early in the cook.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Wow- I agree that is one of the best smoke rings I have seen.  

The lamb looks out of this world! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Looks fantastic!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Did you foil the brisket since you were cooking it at 350ish?
    Dunedin, FL
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Looks great John. You Da Man!!!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nice! I've wanted to do a whole leg of lamb for a long time.

I too was wondering whether you foil the brisket?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • You are my dual meat hero! Lamb and beef look incredible!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Been wanting to do a leg o lamb, would you suggest that temp for a single leg? Maybe lower?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Wow!! That looks fantastic. Good job.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • R2Egg2Q
    yzzi said:
    Did you foil the brisket since you were cooking it at 350ish?

caliking said:
    Very nice! I've wanted to do a whole leg of lamb for a long time. I too was wondering whether you foil the brisket?

I did foil this brisket after it reached an internal temp of about 175. Not so much because of the high temp but because I've had more consistently good results foiling.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Been wanting to do a leg o lamb, would you suggest that temp for a single leg? Maybe lower?

I would have cooked at about the same temp if I only had a leg of lamb. I looked at a number of recipes and most of the ones I read called for temps from 325-425. That said, I'm tempted to go lower on the roast portion and a sear finish just to see how it comes out. I enjoy doing a reverse sear on smaller cuts of lamb like loin chops and rack of lamb.

Bay Area, CA
  • Most delightful looking cook!
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Champion Cook, another must try!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • The brisket looks delicious...like the smoke ring. How long did it take to cook the brisket? The lamb looks very interesting. Nice use of herbs, spices and rub. Did you cook with bone in and then removed to carve?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited September 2013
    Awesome lamb and brisket cook!!!  Please share more details on your brisket cook.  For those of us that have to try our first one it is good to hear which methods are proven to give good results.  
    Thanks...

Long Island, NY
  • R2Egg2Q
    The brisket looks delicious...like the smoke ring. How long did it take to cook the brisket? The lamb looks very interesting. Nice use of herbs, spices and rub. Did you cook with bone in and then removed to carve?

Thanks Joan!
    About 6 1/2 hrs cook time for the brisket. Yes, the lamb was cooked bone-in and then carved to serve. I resisted the urge to bite into it like a big drumstick. :D

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q, sounds good. I will have to wait for a dinner party, my wife and I can't eat that much lamb. Anyone in NoVa want to come over for lamb?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    What a fantastic cook. So you cook low for two hours then fire it up to 350? 

If you get a boned leg, the meat is grouped into three muscle areas of about the same size. I cut them apart and cook rolled to even out the thickness; each one is good for two with leftovers. Leg of lamb is also great with teriyaki. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • R2Egg2Q
    jlsm said:
    What a fantastic cook. So you cook low for two hours then fire it up to 350? 

Thanks! Yes, 2 hrs low then I went 345. This was about as high as I was comfortable taking it as the rub I used (Lotta Bull Red Dirt) has some sugar in it and I've read sugar can burn around 350.

Bay Area, CA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Thanks, @R2Egg2Q. I haven't been happy with the last few briskets and this combo method might be the trick for me. My husband is begging for brisket this weekend, so Sunday it is. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    My lip just quivered a little bit. =P~
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The lamb looks awesome.  Nice price too. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SmokeyPitt
    @r2egg2q - I know we keep asking about that brisket but it just looks so good!  One more question...did you put a rub on the briskey?  In the first pic on the egg it looks almost nekked, but in the finished pics I see a crust that looks like it was rubbed.  Did you rub later in the cook??

• R2Egg2Q
    Yes, @SmokeyPitt it had Red Dirt rub (Lotta Bull is the rub manufacturer). It is red in color (probably high paprika content) which gave it that nekked look. I'm trying my first bottle of the rub and have been pretty happy with it. I did not add any additional rub later in the cook.

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Wow, another great cook!  =D> The pictures are great too. 

I need to tackle lamb sometime soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Looks great! Did u do burnt ends??
    :-SS
  • R2Egg2Q
    daffy1909 said:
    Looks great! Did u do burnt ends?? :-SS

I didn't do burnt ends. I've been enjoying slices of point so much that I rarely make burnt ends these days.

Bay Area, CA