Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing a pork butt tomorrow and have a few questions...

mjs2171
mjs2171 Posts: 26
Size of the butt?  Looks like we are going to have 12-13 people.

Brining?  I have not done it in the past, but was wondering some of your thoughts on it.

And, just want to confirm that I want to smoke it at about 215 to 225 for 10 to 12 hrs depending on the size?

Thank you!

Comments

• An eight to nine pound butt should feed 16 people, figuring 60% yield and 1/3 lb per serving. If you are talking about grid temp you are in the park but dome temp should be 250* or better. 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound at those temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'd do at least an 8 lb butt.  I'm assuming you'll have other sides to go with this and that it isn't a group of big eaters.  As far as time, you can count on anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb on whatever size you depend on cooking unless you go turbo.  I don't brine, but just this past weekend I injected some Lawry's teryaki the night before cooking.  It turned out well, I'll definately do it again.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2013
    I would do an 8 lb butt minimum unless it mostly men then I would do two 7 lbers. When it is good people tend to eat more than usual. Also it will be hard to hold the egg at those temperatures without a bbq guru. If it were me I would cook at 250. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Thanks for all the info.  Going to go with 250 this time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you have a large egg I would do two 8-9 lb butts and plan to have leftovers to stock the freezer.  It doesn't take any longer to cook 2 butts.  I figure as long as I am going through the trouble might as well fill her up with meat!  Pulled pork leftovers are great. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

I just did a 10 pounder and a 8 1/2 pounder last weekend for 20 people with very little left overs (I sent a ziploc sandwich bag full of pig home with 4 or 5 people. I also injected with Lawry's Teryaki, then mustard and dizzy pig dust. It took 15 hours at 250 dome indirect on my XL to get to 198/200 then I FTC for about a hour while I made ABT's and Pork Shots (I made 30 ABT's with smoked gouda and 30 pork shot's piped with store bought cream cheese and chives and they went before I pulled the pork) The pork pulled in 30 seconds per butt, I just used my hands, I had sweet baby rays and a Carolina store bought sauce and white buns and most people opted for no sauce, 12 out of 20 made a sandwich and the rest went bun less. I only hope to top this. Oh yeah I made SAM's club Salmon with EVOO and Ragging River last night with sweet corn and baked Potato. This is great!

Chuck  

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    mjs2171 said:
    Size of the butt?  Looks like we are going to have 12-13 people.

Brining?  I have not done it in the past, but was wondering some of your thoughts on it.

And, just want to confirm that I want to smoke it at about 215 to 225 for 10 to 12 hrs depending on the size?

Thank you!

What internal temp are you shooting for?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA