Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Home Brew Smoked Stout Beer

Drewdlc17
Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
Took my favorite beer a stout and combined the smokey flavor of a smoked Porter by brewing on the Egg.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Cool!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    You actually brewed on the egg? Single infusion BIAB or .?
    HFX NS
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Nsdexter I'm not 100% up to all the beer brewing terms but I think you mean beer in a grain bag? This particular beer I did put all my fresh crushed grain in a bag and seped in the hot water. The bag keeps the grains from settling to to bottom and getting burned.
    Also, I didn't to the entire boil down on the Egg. Only about 15 minutes with heavy Jack D chips to try and trap some smoke in the beer. Got a little of the smoke flavor in the brew but not much.
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Steep for like an hour r steeped for 15 minutes an then add sugar?
    HFX NS
  • While doing the boil on the egg sounds awesome, had you considered actually smoking some of your malt on the egg prior to mashing?  I have some good friends who made a KILLER rauchbier by cedar-smoking regular pale malt.  Supposedly you can use a large portion of smoked malt (I think they used around 80% in their mash), as opposed to commercially-smoked malts, with which you can only use a bit, otherwise it just tastes like overcooked bacon.

• @Frankiesez
    I had not considered smoking my own. That's a great idea tho! Typically my brew shop would carry the smoked malts that you would need for making this beer but they were sold out the day I was going to buy the ingredients. Plus the wife and kiddo were out of town those days and I had to get it done. The Egg didn't produce much smoke in the beer. Just a tiny amout.
    I plan to do a Vanilla Smoked Porter later this fall. I my try you suggestion.

On a side note about Bacon! I would love to make a bacon beer. Any advise on that? Rouge make a Bacon Maple Ale that is great.