Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slaw for pulled pork sandwiches

I need some help with your best recipes. Please!!!
Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I liked this one as well, however I stopped at 4 slices of thick-cut bacon. Plenty of bacon"ness" for me. 8 slices would be overkill for us. I highly recommend stopping at 4 slices, evaluating and assessing if you need more bacon or not. 

Otherwise, simple, fresh, and delicious! :)
  • Mama's Slaw by Myron Mixon (The Winningest Man in Barbecue) 2 small heads Green Cabbage, coarsely chopped 2 medium Sweet Onions, diced 2 ripe Tomatoes, diced 3 cups Mayonnaise Kosher Salt, to taste Freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste Basic Barbecue Rub (below), optional In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, onions, tomatoes, mayonnaise, salt & pepper. Toss thoroughly. (You can prepare this up to 6 hours in advance and store it, covered, in the refrigerator. But if you do, do not add the salt until you're ready to serve the slaw, and too it again just before serving; otherwise the slaw become watery.) Garnish with basic barbecue rub, if desired.
  • A simple slaw is just what I need with pulled pork. Love it on pulled pork tacos:

One cabbage, diced fine
    3/4 cup mayo
    2tbs red wine vinegar.

Yum!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited September 2013
    I have lightly modded a recipe which I believe originated in a Jack Daniels cookbook (also on Naked Whiz site's pulled pork page).  It is known as "Mary Lee's" I fought the slaw and the slaw won....

Mary Lee's I Fought the Slaw and the Slaw Won

3 lbs Cabbage
    4 ribs Celery
    1 medium onion
    2 small green bell peppers
    4 Carrots grated
    1 Cup Sugar

Shred cabbage. Chop celery, onion, pepper and carrots, Sprinkle, then mix in sugar.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring vinegar, oil, celery seed and salt to a boil.  Pour over cabbage mixture, chill overnight.  Serves 12.

Everyone seems to love this... I cut ML's sugar in half and added a bit more veggie to it.  
    Long Island, NY
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Radamo's post above from Elder Wards pulled pork page on the Nakedwhiz site is my favorite also. In fact, I made it last night for consumption with my PP today.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Thanks mokadir... forgot I had seen that on the Naked Whiz site also... have given credit above.  His site is an excellent resource.

Long Island, NY
  • I am sorry. Looking on phone and hit disagreein etrot.
    Atlanta, Georgia area
  • Sorry .....That's disagree in error.
    Atlanta, Georgia area
  • +1 on the Mary Lee recipe from Naked Whiz site, I use that one for pulled pork.  Also nice no mayo so it travels and holds up well.