Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken thighs, first time, how?

Options
acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
edited September 2013 in Poultry
We have a family tradition of making our 'family recipie' chicken thighs on labor day weekend. It's a "secret: :-)  family recipe of marinating (overnight in the fridge) the thighs in a mixture of oil, vinegar, herbs from the garden, spices, etc. I'm sure you all have a similar concoction... not rocket science... but we love that 'vinegary' flavor.

We used to do these over Weber Kettle charcoal, but then we got a gasser and had it for 20 years... until we got the Egg a few months ago.

I did this on the gasser at about 400 for about an hour and a half (was never as good as on charcoal.). First time on the large Egg. I have a plate setter. I also have bricks I can use to cooke raised-direct. I have a dozen thighs (with skin) marinating in the fridge. 

Would you use the plate setter or raised direct? What temp would you recommend. Also would you cook when thighs are at room temp, or right from the fridge? (I normally pat them dry with paper towel before putt them on.)  

I'm more of a beef person than a poultry person and I'm not that experienced with much more than grilling steaks and burgers and fish on the new Egg. All ideas appreciated.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I'd go raised direct at 400.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• GreenhawK
    Options
    I would do the same process that you normally do, and then do raised direct.

Direct seems to give it a better skin.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do almost all chicken raised direct.

Generally, I  take the chix out of the fridge right after I have the BGE lit.

A direct cook over lump produces lots of heat from IR. Dome temps are somewhat misleading. I usually start w. a dome temp of 350. After 15 min., I flip chix pieces, and note which need to be moved away from hot spots, and those that need more heat. Flip and move again after another 10 - 15, and measure internal temps. If under 145F, and skin still soft, bump temp up to 450F. If  under 145, but skin crisp, let go at 350 till internal is 165 (or more as you like.) Always remove before 185F. Or, move hot pieces off to the side while the cooler ones finish.

Hope this helps.
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Options
    On the old gasser I used to flip the thighs. Most of the time the skin would stick to the grill... aways a mess.  

I didn't think I'd need to flip on the Egg... I didn't do it the few times I've done skin-on, bone-in breasts. But I'll flip the thighs if that is what you folks suggest. 

How long would you say this cook will be? An hour for a dozen?

If this is a cooking failure, my wife is going to taunt me for a week about it! :-) (There is no 15 yard penalty in our house for 'taunting like in collegiate football!')

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    I do raised direct at 300 ish, the temp usually climbs as the cook goes on, I turn them and adjust them on the grill if there's a hot spot (usually at the back) after about 20 minutes. Usually done in 45 - 50 minutes...  Check the internal temp to make sure their done..   I believe its 180 for dark meat (my notes are at home). 
    Rowlett, Texas