Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tipping over concern and other questions.

Options
I finally ordered my LBGE, and am in the final stages of planning out my table. My table design where the egg sits is more of a platform, with no table surrounding the egg. Do I need the support of the table so it doesn't tip over when you open the lid? I've seen others with similar designs, but some of my coworkers brought up that they thought that the edge of the table supported the edge of the table some.

Do the new eggs still come with the ceramic feet? And is using the ceramic feet on a 2" patio stone enough of a thermal barrier? My dealer doesn't seem to know what a table nest is or how to order it.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can open the lid without a stand...it won't tip over.  The edge of the table top should not touch the egg.  You can use a patio stone but you want an air gap too - at least if you're on a combustible deck.  They don't include the ceramic feet anymore.  You want one of these or improvise something.
    Options
    With the innards I don't worry about tipping.  However, if you remove the fire ring and firebox to clean the inside, or perform other maintenance, the 'empty' egg with the dome opened could get quite tipsy!
    canuckland
  • imahic
    imahic Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the medium Egg and am planning my table. I am going to take the casters off of the stand that the Egg came with and bolt them to the bottom of my cart. I'm thinking about surrounding the Egg with a gap like I see most of the other guys using so it doesn't touch the egg. I'm going to enclose the sides and put doors on one side so I can open up for air flow and clean out.