Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help getting what I need upfront.

Options
I'm a few weeks from pulling the trigger on a XL BGE and I'm sure my questions are basic and or won't have a consensus, so please be patient with me. I was going to go with the large but after reading I feel the XL is the way to go because of the few times a year I do cook for large numbers AND from what I've read you really start grilling more once you have the BGE. I'm now torn between the WOO, AR or plate setter. I'm leaning towards the WOO2 unless there is consensus to for the AR or Plate setter. Are welding gloves a must or will good oven gloves be fine? Grid Lifter or grid gripper? Why? Do I need to buy the non BGE high temp gasket and start off with that or wait and see if the BGE gasket will work for me? Is the Big Green Egg BBQ Guru worth it up front or is this something to ease into? I'm thinking the Natural Charcoal Starters are all I need, the electric starters seem to be over kill to me I'm sure I will have many more questions and I'm thanking all of you in advance for your help.
XL BGE

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I don't have experience with anything other than a platesetter, sorry.

I don't have welding gloves, but I've ruined a set of rubber oven mitts.

the high temp gasket probably comes installed. I have a 8" gap if no gasket, I don't worry about it.

I use tongs to grip my grid.

I would learn how to control the temperature and then get a stoker.

I don't use starters I use oil soaked paper towels.

• Fireman_Joe
    Options
    My input would be AR with stone, I dont have welding gloves but I use a pair of firefighter gloves (free to me), a pair of tongs will lift the standard grate, cast iron grate I use a 1/4" steel rod I bent to lift it, use gasket that comes with it (no sense to buy one till you need it), I have a BBQ Guru but I wish I would of purchased the CyberQ wifi model for my overnight cooks, I use the starters as they are clean to use and light easily. Any thing else ask because I watched the forums for a while before I purchased my LBGE and the forums have years of experience on them.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    Fire
    My input would be AR with stone, I dont have welding gloves but I use a pair of firefighter gloves (free to me), a pair of tongs will lift the standard grate, cast iron grate I use a 1/4" steel rod I bent to lift it, use gasket that comes with it (no sense to buy one till you need it), I have a BBQ Guru but I wish I would of purchased the CyberQ wifi model for my overnight cooks, I use the starters as they are clean to use and light easily. Any thing else ask because I watched the forums for a while before I purchased my LBGE and the forums have years of experience on them.

What other tips do you have for me, must haves or more importantly must not haves?
    XL BGE
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited August 2013
    Options
    THERMAPEN, #1 do not pass go, do not spend a cent until you have one of those.

Everything else there are many more ways to accomplish what you are wanting to do with all sorts of setups, depends on how much money you have to spend.

I would look on Amazon for Rutland firestarters.  I got 140 or a little more for 17 dollars, when BGE charges 8-9 bucks for 24.

The platesetter is a great tool with the original BGE setup, but if you are looking to cook on multiple grids and such you will need to look at ceramicgrillworks.com or ceramicgrillstore.com and look at what setups you think would work the best for you.

You can get a Maverick temperature monitor that will be much cheaper then getting a Stoker or a Digi-Q but doesn't have near the bells and whistles.
    It's not a cheap journey, but it's well worth it if you do your research and get what you need.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I use a set of channel lock pliers to move grates, plate setter, etc. have a digi q and love it but I would recommend learning to control the temp manually to start. I would also use the gasket included until you need to replace it. I got 2 years out of the "original" one. Just my .02. Enjoy, your life will never be the same!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I got a large awhile ago and here is what I bought with my thoughts:
    Therma Pen: Every cook gets it used... even pizza yes I am paranoid
    Placesetter : Got used every cook (I mostly smoke) until I got the Woo3
    Pizza Stone: without the woo I was using it and killing pizza, would not get it unless you also get a way to raise it.
    CyberQ WIFI : Wife said "does it have a thermostat like an oven?" I wasn't missing that opening at all! I use it on all low and slows mainly just as a conversation point with my dad a couple states away. I tease him with the webpage "oh loooook it's almost done!" I am comfortable enough now to think I would get away without using the fan and just the temp probes.
    Looflighter : This is the one thing I probably wouldn't do again but I use it because I have it and I already have the extension cord out most times for the Cyber Q.

Since then I got the Woo3 and a small pizza stone as an alt to the place settter. smaller, lighter, made my pizza tasty instead of burnt on the bottom raw on the top. Only used it twice. Going to try low and slow with it at some point.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Your gasket depends on how new your new egg is from the dealer.   If it comes with the gray felt gasket it's garbage.  Ask the dealer if they have a Nomex gasket replacement or email the mothership for a replacement.   Personally I would skip over both of those gaskets and go with a Rutland.   RRP on the forum can hook you up with the Rutland gasket or a local fireplace shop will typically carry it.  The benefit of putting the gasket on now is that your egg is as clean as it's ever going to get. Ends up being an easier install when new.  (If you do decide to go with Rutland, make sure you still get your Nomex gasket from the dealer/mothership.  You can use the Nomex gasket to line the inside of your ceramic top with it.  Helps the ceramic top from falling off and helps save on lump.) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
    I will agree with the Therma Pen also. Tell us some of the foods you are looking to cook and where are you placing the egg. Also where you are from as some of the eggers on here probably live near you and could offer some advice for your area or quick phone call/text message guidance when you start cooking.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Seanr7
    Options
    Live in OKC will be cooking steaks, chicken, veggies, etc + smoking meats and cooking pizza. I'm pretty sure I will start baking as well. It almost looks like the possibilities are endless.
    XL BGE
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Egg or not, first purchase should be a Thermapen, I seriously don't work for them or anything but a incredible thermometer will improve your cooking inside and and out. The difference between a 2-3 second read and a 10-20 second read is well worth the extra money.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My two cents. Get your egg home, get some starter cubes, lump, animal flesh and your favorite adult beverage. The first night fire it up and play with the vents to acclimate to the egg. Work your temp around and drink. Maybe throw something on or not.

Get a thermapen... It's valuable not only to theegg but cooking in general.

WAIT.... on everything else. You'll figure out what YOU need and/or want. I've talked to several people that have cabinets full of crap they don't need. Especially wait on your table or setup.

Congrats, welcome and look forward to seeing your cooks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i went years with the standard egg, a spare grate, and some fire bricks to build an indirect setup and raised grid for different cooking setups. i have the adjustable rig spider and stone now which makes things easier but you can make do with just bricks and a second grid or a second grid and a pan for indirects. thermapen is a must. kitchen mitts will get really greasy moving bbq grids around
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thermapen definitely. The ash tool if you don't plan to vacuum out your egg. I would add MAPP torch for lighting (oil-soaked paper towels work well but are definitely slower) and I would very strongly recommend the Maverick for monitoring your food and grid temps. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Egg or not, first purchase should be a Thermapen, I seriously don't work for them or anything but a incredible thermometer will improve your cooking inside and and out. The difference between a 2-3 second read and a 10-20 second read is well worth the extra money.

I agree.  As a fellow noob, I kept reading about this "thermapen".  I figured it was all just hype.  Then when they went on sale, I bought one.  It has made every cook since then better.  I no longer overcook food like chicken.

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    If you go with the platesetter and need to raise the grid, you can do so for about $3 with some carriage bolts, washers and nuts.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    As just about everyone has said, get the Thermapen.  I've also got the Maverick and use it quite alot.  I use a thick pair of leather gloves for moving hot items.  In cooler weather I love my dutch oven for stews, soups and chillis. +1 on Rutland firestarters, look and work the same as BGE but at a fraction of the cost.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    henapple said:
    My two cents. Get your egg home, get some starter cubes, lump, animal flesh and your favorite adult beverage. The first night fire it up and play with the vents to acclimate to the egg. Work your temp around and drink. Maybe throw something on or not. Get a thermapen... It's valuable not only to theegg but cooking in general. WAIT.... on everything else. You'll figure out what YOU need and/or want. I've talked to several people that have cabinets full of crap they don't need. Especially wait on your table or setup. Congrats, welcome and look forward to seeing your cooks.
    Agree totally. You didn't have all the shiznet with your gasser so if you want to see the raw comparison go with just the egg. As fishlessman said you can use firebricks or a pan full of sand for indirect and a spare grid you can raise and you can produce as good as having all the toys.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    henapple said:
    My two cents. Get your egg home, get some starter cubes, lump, animal flesh and your favorite adult beverage. The first night fire it up and play with the vents to acclimate to the egg. Work your temp around and drink. Maybe throw something on or not. Get a thermapen... It's valuable not only to theegg but cooking in general. WAIT.... on everything else. You'll figure out what YOU need and/or want. I've talked to several people that have cabinets full of crap they don't need. Especially wait on your table or setup. Congrats, welcome and look forward to seeing your cooks.
    I agree with Henapple. Soon enough you will read about all the cool stuff that is out there, what it is good for, how well it works, etc. etc..  Then you will go out and spend a boatload of money and maybe even build a man cave like Henapple that has everything including the kitchen sink and soap dispenser.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    Options
    Speaking of getting help up front....

:D
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I told you he had EVERYTHING in his man cave!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options

I've had my Egg since February, did not get a Place Setter, use firebricks, channel locks to move the grid, pizza stone, got a CDN Quick Read Thermometer instead of a ThermaPen (works well enuff for less than $20), a Maverick and Rutland Fire Starters with an assist from an electric heat gun as backup.  Been able to cook most everything I wanted.

• Seanr7
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So go slow but get a thermapen. Figure out what I need based on my needs and don't waste money upfront on things I might not need.
    XL BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

Seanr7 said:
    Thanks everyone. So go slow but get a thermapen. Figure out what I need based on my needs and don't waste money upfront on things I might not need.
    thats probably the best route, then after you use it for a bit you can call tom at the ceramic grill store and discuss his options, he will go over the different uses of his pieces to help you decide whats best suited for how you grill, he cooks on an xl. or maybe you will be looking at different options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SpanishMoon
    Options
    I just got my first egg a couple of weeks ago for my birthday.  I've got a large  in the nest with the castors and a starter kit which came with some starters, an ash tool, a grid griper thing, some apple wood chips, and a bag of bge lump.  I've since gotten the thermapen, plate setter, and a cover since mine is currently out in the elements.  There is a ton of great info on here but it can get overwhelming.  My advice is just to grab a hunk of meat and some rub and throw it on and see what happens.  Out of my new toys, i've used the thermapen and ash tool the most.  Even using the thermapen, I end up over cooking but everything has still come out very moist and tasty.  
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    henapple said:
    Speaking of getting help up front.... :D
    Wonder how long it would take to cook those breasts?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • henapple
    Options
    Not long.... :|