Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini, Hatch, strata

Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Bobby Flay did a Strata on his brunch show today and it looked like a cook that could easily be adapted to the egg. Since the mini only egg I will taking to the Plano Fest, the mini was chosen to do the cook.

Ingredients: Bacon that purchased at the meat market yesterday, cubed and cooked down slowly, eggs, heavy cream, stale bread toasted and cubed, roasted and smashed: tomatoes, Hatch peppers, grated oaxaca cheese and garlic. Drained all juices into a cup ....tasted soo good.

liquid gold

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm not sure what to say... Awesome doesn't cover it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Dumb question. You drained the juice... What did you do with it?
  • Austin  Egghead
    edited August 2013
    henapple said:

Drank it...Would have made the custard too soupy. It was so good too and I didn't share ;;) :D
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited August 2013
    Awesome. Trying to imagine the taste and the different  flavors

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

So why is the hatch chilie always roasted? Forgive my ignorance, I am curious.

Also, why roast it to save or freeze it?

Maybe @griffin would have an answer

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple

henapple said:

Drank it...Would have made the custard too soupy. It was so good too and I didn't share ;;) :D

Did you add alcohol?

=))
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Man that look's good! Nice job.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Austin  Egghead
    edited August 2013
    Aviator said:

So why is the hatch chilie always roasted? Forgive my ignorance, I am curious.

Also, why roast it to save or freeze it?

Maybe @griffin would have an answer

Two reasons:  
    1) They have a very tough outer skin and roasting enables the skin to be easily peeled off; 
    2) When a pepper is picked green they can be very bitter because the sugars have not fully developed and roasting brings out the sugars and the complex flavors of the chile.  
    The Hatch pepper can range form very mild to very hot (although this years batch has not been very hot).

• henapple said:
    henapple said:

Did you add alcohol? =))
    you know with a few other ingredients that would have been the makings for a fine bloody mary
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Okay, I've looked over your ingredient list twice now, and I can't figure out what the "juice" came from.   :-/

I've never made a strata, but it looks similar to an artichoke frittata that I make for breakfast often, bet that'd be great on the Egg too!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch I drained all the juices that were in the peppers and the tomatoes the yield was close to 1/3 of a cup and it really was tasty.
    I had never heard of a strata before today so I googled it.  It seems it is a cousin to the quiche, the frittata, the Spanish tortilla and the southern breakfast casserole. Thinking a chorizo strata would be great too.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I love strata! The mini version looks great. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Botch I drained all the juices that were in the peppers and the tomatoes the yield was close to 1/3 of a cup and it really was tasty.
    There's always some residual juice in my Hatch baggies (5-6 peppers per bag, out of the freezer) so I'll have to keep it and try a bloody mary with it!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.