Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT: anyone familiar w a Sig P938?

I currently have the Sig p238 (.380) and like it a lot, along w a Glock 21 and 27. The wife is in need of a CC piece and I'm leaning heavily toward the 938 ( either for her or myself, and give her my .380). Does anyone here have one or have any experience w one? A few early reviews are suspect but seems like here lately they are very well received. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Had your exact situation and picked up a 938 a couple of months ago. It is just a touch larger. For example it was too tight in the pocket holster I have for the 238. Shoots virtually the same as the 238. Which IMHO is really good for that size gun. If you get one I would highly recommend getting the extended mags (actually ordered for both from Sig). Only took a couple weeks on back order. Makes the gun fit my hand better and has the added bonus of another round. I really like the 938.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I've got the extended mag for my 238 and I'm very happy w it. Played w a Sig 938 Nightmare at my local gun store and really liked the feel of it. I put the Hogue rubber grips on my 238 and would do the same w the 938. How many rounds have you out thru yours?
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Owned a 229 - CC'd it for a while. EDC is a S&W E-Series 1911 "Scandium". 

I'd also take a look at the S&W Shield, and Springfield XDS for similar sized firearms. I also owned an XDS chambered in .45, and let me tell you, the recoil from a .45, in a micro-sized firearm was extremely manageable. Not to mention I shoot the XDS EXTREMELY well. Holes within holes at 7-10 yards. Not bad from a 3.3" barreled, "micro" gun, chambered in a 45. 

Carry on! :)
  • Mine is the Nightmare as well. Only a couple hundred rounds through the 938 as I have only had it a couple of months. Many more through the 238 and as I said they shoot real similar as far as I can tell. The only thing I am not crazy about is their prices. But they are very likely the last pocket CCW's I'll buy.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I carry a Kel Tec PF-9 most of the time. A Glock 26 sometimes. Here is a vid from my fav gear reviewer. He is usually spot on. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    I carry a Kel Tec PF-9 most of the time. A Glock 26 sometimes. Here is a vid from my fav gear reviewer. He is usually spot on. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Ruger LCP. A tad hard to shoot at the range, but for a CC it works, and very easy to carry.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have a Ruger LCP.  I can shoot it pretty good, but my wife hates it.  I actually got it for her.  She actually likes my Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm the best out of all of my guns.  They also have an XDS now that is a little thinner for concealed carry.  

The LCP handle is just to short for her, and she says it feels like it's going to jump out of her hand. 

An extended handle in the Sig may be the perfect answer though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Almost anyone with a brain will not carry a compact automatic pistol.  I know 4 cops that own a gun shop and they all carry the S&W model 442 .38 Special +P.  It is easy to carry with hardly any imprinting and reliable.  Most self defense situations occur within 7-10 feet and you only need 1-2 shots to defend yourself.  If you expect a fire fight you are hanging in the wrong places.  The +P round hits like a Mac Truck.  The gun is hammerless which makes it very safe since it is a double action piece.  I carry mine in a Desantis pocket holster which stays put when you draw it.  I can carry it in my dress slacks with no drooping problems.  Loaded with Critical Defense ammo which are very nasty rounds.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Lowflyer
    Great video Travis, thanks. I bought the wife a Ruger LC9 a while back, loved everything about except it took two days to pull the trigger. Sold it! I think I'm gonna let her have my .380 and go for this .938.
  • Lowflyer
    She prob won't carry her gun that much, I think primarily would be in the car. We shall see.
  • travisstrick

Almost anyone with a brain will not carry a compact automatic pistol.  I know 4 cops that own a gun shop and they all carry the S&W model 442 .38 Special +P.  It is easy to carry with hardly any imprinting and reliable.  Most self defense situations occur within 7-10 feet and you only need 1-2 shots to defend yourself.  If you expect a fire fight you are hanging in the wrong places.  The +P round hits like a Mac Truck.  The gun is hammerless which makes it very safe since it is a double action piece.  I carry mine in a Desantis pocket holster which stays put when you draw it.  I can carry it in my dress slacks with no drooping problems.  Loaded with Critical Defense ammo which are very nasty rounds.

I never knew we had a top firearms expert on here. Knowing four cops makes you the most credentialed person ive ever met. Please share more of you vast self defence knowledge with us.

• Lowflyer
    Half a brain at that.
  • SamFerrise

I never knew we had a top firearms expert on here. Knowing four cops makes you the most credentialed person ive ever met. Please share more of you vast self defence knowledge with us.
    Well, Travis, first of all, learn how to spell.  I am by no means a gun expert, however, I know a lot about firearms. My circle of friends includes military, FBI, and other gun toting professionals.  People that carry guns for a living generally know how to use them.  They also know the most reliable hand guns to carry for personal protection.  My wife also carries a S&W .38 Special in her purse.  

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Never changes- I bet u got beat up a lot as a kid didn't you?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Well, Travis, first of all, learn how to spell.  I am by no means a gun expert, however, I know a lot about firearms. My circle of friends includes military, FBI, and other gun toting professionals.  People that carry guns for a living generally know how to use them.  They also know the most reliable hand guns to carry for personal protection.  My wife also carries a S&W .38 Special in her purse.  
    My two cents.  I am a former SWAT member and hostage negotiator, law enforcement firearms instructor, and NRA Range Safety Officer.  I was the manager of the security training center on Kennedy Space Center.  That said; I carry a Glock 26 and I have total confidence in it.  On the other hand, I have nothing against wheel guns, and The Spouse carries a Ruger SPS 101.  If I did carry a revolver, that would be the one.  I frequently get into debates with range-trolls over carrying heavy firepower, and have the unpopular position that what a cop needs to carry is different than a civilian, who has no obligation to stand and fight.  It is an unusual bad guy who is going to stand his ground when you start shooting, even with a .22.  It is more important to carry what you actually will carry, and can actually hit your target with, than to have big artillery.

Just my opinion, as is anyone's, and no need to insult or belittle anyone who differs.

You also might note, that Travis travels in places where people are shooting at him.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Aviator
    edited August 2013

:)) He knows 4 cops and a gun expert. Did you also sleep at the holiday inn exp?

He is also the guru of pizza and now a grammar/spelling Nazi.

Sam you drank the wheel gun cool-aid a tad too much. They are good weapons but we have come a long way since. Even the colt 1911s.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SamFerrise
    Excuse me!

• Aviator
    Excuse me!
    Its all good dude !
    :D

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I carry a Hk P30. 15+1...while most instances occur close range with 2 shots I prefer having extra. I struggle presenting my LCP. I'm not a huge guy but carry my fill size Hk easily. With the right holster and belt most pistols are. I will throw the 380 in the front pocket if just running out for a minute.

I'm sure my cerebral capacity will be questioned but my mailman has a brother that works with this lady that goes to church with a man whose son dates the daughter of a guy whose ex wife married a woman that got pulled over by a police officer... So believe me, I know.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lowflyer
    henapple said:

I carry a Hk P30. 15+1...while most instances occur close range with 2 shots I prefer having extra. I struggle presenting my LCP. I'm not a huge guy but carry my fill size Hk easily. With the right holster and belt most pistols are. I will throw the 380 in the front pocket if just running out for a minute.

I'm sure my cerebral capacity will be questioned but my mailman has a brother that works with this lady that goes to church with a man whose son dates the daughter of a guy whose ex wife married a woman that got pulled over by a police officer... So believe me, I know.

What road did the ex wife live on?
    :D
  • henapple
    Hey, les-be-honest.. It was a Freudian slip.
  • Aviator

Lowflyer said:
    I carry a Hk P30. 15+1...while most instances occur close range with 2 shots I prefer having extra. I struggle presenting my LCP. I'm not a huge guy but carry my fill size Hk easily. With the right holster and belt most pistols are. I will throw the 380 in the front pocket if just running out for a minute. I'm sure my cerebral capacity will be questioned but my mailman has a brother that works with this lady that goes to church with a man whose son dates the daughter of a guy whose ex wife married a woman that got pulled over by a police officer... So believe me, I know.
    What road did the ex wife live on? :D
    Don't matter, they lived in Kalifornia.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    For many years my carry choice was a Walther PPK 380.  This year I replaced it with a Springfield Armory XDS .45.  While needing some practice shooting that round out through a 3.3 inch barrel, like @FLbobecu says, it is extremely manageable.  It is one fine weapon.  If, God forbid, I get into a self defense situation, I will have a lot more confidence it he .45 round than the .380. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Aviator
    Have a Kimber CDP in 45. Sweet weapon. With all the farkles done at their custom shop.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    I love the look of a Kimber... Nice piece. @Aviator... When you coming back to the Boro?
  • Lowflyer
    Last I checked, doesn't a Kimber cost an arm and a leg?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Lowflyer said:

Doesn't that depend on the caliber and shooter accuracy?
  • henapple
    My CCW instructor gave me hell about my Hk P30... More expensive, yes but I carry it... Not collect them. I love 1911's but not for carry.
  • Lowflyer
    I looked at th

Lowflyer said:

Doesn't that depend on the caliber and shooter accuracy?
    I looked at their single stack pocket 9mm and it was pushing a grand I think. Would rather have 2 more Glocks for that kind of scratch.