Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Any roof / gutter experts here?

Options
Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757

OT and posted in OT.

Want a quick check in and advice on what you all think about gutter guard or leaf guard(Costco) etc. I am having my roof replaced with either GAF or CertainTeed roof shingles. Any opinion on which is better. And the gutters. Going with the 6" do I go plain open or the covered ones. Have trees all around but none directly over any part of the house. The problem is the house is so tall, one can never clean them.

Yes, I have done my research and reading. Just find a diverse, intelligent crowd here with varying experiences levels.

Thanks in advance.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'd stay away from the mesh type covers. I've seen them pile up leaves and hold moisture.

I suggest doing a low altitude fly over... Buzz the roof and blow the gutters out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I had Gutter Guard installed myself 8 years ago. Mine also is a 2 story home and heavily wooded. They work as advertised with one exception...in the winter they cause horribly big ice cycles to form. In fact at certain spots I fear they can become too heavy and bend or break the gutters. Also some are menacing and down right dangerous if they were to fall and hit someone. Typically when they get 3 feet long I have an extension pole that I use to whack them to break them and then run like crazy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options

henapple said:
    I'm no expert but I'd stay away from the mesh type covers. I've seen them pile up leaves and hold moisture. I suggest doing a low altitude fly over... Buzz the roof and blow the gutters out.
    buy a Parrot AR drone and fly it up there with your phone or tablet for visual recon :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Or you could ask the government to send pics... They're doing drone flights already..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aviator
    Options

:))

Guys, yall are no help.

Chattanooga, TN.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    RRP said:
    I had Gutter Guard installed myself 8 years ago. Mine also is a 2 story home and heavily wooded. They work as advertised with one exception...in the winter they cause horribly big ice cycles to form. In fact at certain spots I fear they can become too heavy and bend or break the gutters. Also some are menacing and down right dangerous if they were to fall and hit someone. Typically when they get 3 feet long I have an extension pole that I use to whack them to break them and then run like crazy!
    This!,  Now that I had to take down the tree overhanging our house I want to remove the gutter guards/toppers for this reason.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you don't have leaves falling on your roof, you don't need the guards.  

I work in commercial construction so here is my two cents:

1. Whatever has the best warranty for the best price, other than that it is all in how you install it.

2. Skip the gutters covers and install a roof anchor so you can tie off to the roof and clean/inspect it when you want. Costs more between the anchor and harness, but you never have to fear falling off a roof again.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    My boss has them along with an electrical heater that keeps the icicles away.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Aviator
    Options
    If this helps, my roof has a high pitch angle. I am afraid when it pours, the water may just sheet off the roof if I have a leaf guard or gutter guard.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @Aviator - I have the Gutter Helmets that were put on by the previous owner. I have an 11/12 on part of my house and a 8/12 on the rest and when it really rains hard you would think you are standing in a waterfall on the steeper part of the roof.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I sell roofs for a living. First off GAF or Certainteed are good shingles.

As far as the gutters go at least in the snow states me personally , I wouldn't have them. Have your landscaping tapered away from the house. But if you have wet foundation problems well then you need them.

Gutter screens do get clogged  up mostly with pine needles and leaves with a long stems. The helmet style are a love /hate type. 2nd story use , why not if you can't clean regularly .  If the rain is heavy enough ,helmets or not, yes the water will cascade.

Some power washer attachments have gutter cleaners along with a long pole.

Good luck!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI