Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple and Brown Sugar Stuffed Pork Loin

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited August 2013 in Pork
Been too busy with end of Summer fun to do a lot of cooking except I made some "sea turtle eggs for a faculty luncheon last week.Today I decided to break out the BGE again and do up a stuffed pork lion. My Sous-chef (Mrs Parallel) prepared it so quickly that there are no pics of the prep but it was rather simple anyways.

Pork loin stuffed with sliced apples and brown sugar, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Raging River spice rub.

Then onto the Big Green Egg at 350° indirect with a handful of apple wood providing smoke.

Pulled at 140° internal temp and allowed to rest for five minutes.

Next time we're going to used dehydrated apple slices as the moisture from the fresh apple slices made the brown sugar turn to syrup. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't the desired outcome which was to be a sweet, chunky homemade applesauce in the middle of juicy, slightly maple flavored and spicy pork. It still tasted very good, but I was looking for some bubbly caramelized brown sugar that never happened.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Still looks good. I'd eat that any day.
    Thanks... the Raging River rub was GREAT on this. The sweetness of the apple filling played nicely with the maple and citrus of the rub.

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    One thing I love about pork is all the moisture/juiciness.  When stuffing, I need to used dried too.  I brought stuffed tenderloin wrapped in puff pastry to an Easter dinner.  The stuffing wasn't dried and it made the pastry all soggy.  Your crust looks awesome!
  • Parallel
    Thanks y'all. I had someone suggest putting the sliced apples in a colander while sprinkled with the brown sugar. They said they do this when baking pies, anyone know if this would take enough of the moister out to allow the brown sugar added when stuffed to stay and caramelize?

• I think that the juice from the pork might have the same effect as the juice from the apples. Also, I believe that brown sugar does not caramelize until over 300*. Not sure it will reach that temp inside your stuffed pork.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Hmmmm   good point. Perhaps I need to caramelize it in a cast iron pan WITH the apples before stuffing.

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Great post, thanks for sharing - looks great
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Looks great!!! A meal I will have to try. Thanks for the insight.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN