Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter problem ;(

Apparently, if a PS is standing up sideways and gets knocked over, it breaks.

Can anyone recommend an adhesive that would work for this?
Or am I stuck shelling out money for a new one of these mandatory accessories?

Comments

• furnace cement should do the trick
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • If I had to buy another plate setter, I'd probably just get a custom CGW rig instead.  Just a thought.  You'll spend more money, but the versatility of those rigs is something I am not ashamed to say that I covet.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    edited August 2013
    If I had to buy another plate setter, I'd probably just get a custom CGW rig instead.  Just a thought.  You'll spend more money, but the versatility of those rigs is something I am not ashamed to say that I covet.

Tell me more. What are they and where can I get one? Online?

• Sorry, I typed CGW when I meant CGS.  Adjustable rig/spider/Woo and stone:  http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

• I'm under the impression that if you call them and talk to them about what your needs are (i.e. what you cook and how frequently), they will work with you to figure out what pieces of their rigs you would be best served by purchasing.

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    edited August 2013
    Others on here have had success with a product called JB Weld. I used it to piece a cracked egg back together. Good luck!
  • Will furnace cement or JB weld release any chemicals into my food?

• If I had to buy another plate setter, I'd probably just get a custom CGW rig instead.  Just a thought.  You'll spend more money, but the versatility of those rigs is something I am not ashamed to say that I covet.
    Wow...they look pretty bad-ass! Definitely something I need to look into and possibly get in the future. 

But for now, I think I'm gonna try the furnace cement to fix the one I have and get me by. We were planning on havin the in-laws over for some fine brisket this weekend, so I need my plate setter back ASAP. The CGS looks like I need to do a lot of research to figure out what I need for accessories. Thanks a bunch for the link. 
    :)>-

By the way, the problem all started with one of the grid lifters pictured above. I got one as a free accessory, and have had nothing but problems with it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it always feels like I have a firm grip on the grid with it, and 4/5 times I use it, I end up dropping the grid because it slips away from this crappy lifter. I was using it tonight, the grid dropped as usual, and knocked over the PS resulting in my dilemma lol!

I finally threw the damn thing away. I'll just use a pliers.
  • Many use this tool incorrectly.  When used incorrectly it will fail.

Hard to describe, think bite first bar and leverage against the second.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I use mine all the time. It works great for holding the hot grid while i scrub it.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• In the picture of the tool, if the grill was under the tool in that pic, and you went to grab the grill, you're using it wrong.  You need to flip it over, the tang on the topside in your pic is the one that fits UNDER the grill.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    JB Weld will work every time...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

JB weld will work, although I might let it cook for awhile before adding food. That might be over cautious, but better safe than sorry.

Reseach the AR when you have time and call Tom. He'll walk you through what you need and won't try and up sell you. He's a stand up guy.

Can't help you with that grate lifter. I use welders gloves.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013

By the way, the problem all started with one of the grid lifters pictured above. I got one as a free accessory, and have had nothing but problems with it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it always feels like I have a firm grip on the grid with it, and 4/5 times I use it, I end up dropping the grid because it slips away from this crappy lifter. I was using it tonight, the grid dropped as usual, and knocked over the PS resulting in my dilemma lol!

I finally threw the damn thing away. I'll just use a pliers.
    Are you using it correctly?  How To Use The Gridlifter

If you are using it correctly, physics and gravity and stuff all work together to hold it for you.  It won't get away.
    The Naked Whiz
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    One of the forum members (thirdeye) built a grid lifter tool that works great (http://thirdeyeq.com/). Give that a shot and see if that will work for you.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I'm on my 3rd platesetter for the XL.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Thanks for the advice and yes, I was using the lifter wrong :..(

@Griffin... love your website! 

I think I have the problem worked out for now, but I'm thinking the AR will be a better investment and won't break as easy 
    >:P