Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping peach wood

Options
The winery/orchard around the corner let me grab some peach and apple tree limbs and trunks for smoking.
I think I need to strip the bark, cut, split and age. Is this correct?
Would I get more flavor and longer smoke without aging?
Thanks.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I can't really speak knowledgeably on the topic, but that won't stop me from sharing an opinion (haha). If it was me I would age it for a while if possible. I would guess you'll get cleaner, better testing smoke from aged wood. 

I guess it's similar to the question of whether or not to soak wood chunks. Hot wood produces smoke, hot water produces stream. I don't soak wood and would let it age to drive off residual water.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use green peach wood all the time. You don't have to age peach but its the only wood I have seen sold not aged.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I would try some green - save a few pieces to dry adn try them. I wouldn't worry about prep, except maybe cutting it into chunks that would fit.
    Cookin in Texas
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Based on previous posts I have read I would say cut them to your desired size and then use em as you would like. The green vs aged vs bark vs no bark debate all boils down to wood + fire = smokey goodness. Good luck and way to go on a great wood score.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

I would advise you to keep it large pieces as long as you can, it will stay more flavorful longer.  Chop it smaller when you need it.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA