Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT (I Repeat, OT): First Trip to Hilton Head. Need Suggestions!

Options
Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
Going to HHI today, returning home on Sunday. Just me and Meredith, no kids! It's our 7th wedding anniversary.

Neither of our families vacationed at Hilton Head, so we have no idea where to eat, hang out, or what to do.

We are staying on the beach, and we love good food, outdoor fun, and a little competition here and there.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated! If anyone lives in HH, we'll be trying to spot your egg...

Thanks in advance!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Chris and Meredith. Sorry, I'm no help with HHI.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Can't help you out on this one but with no kids even McDonald's will be a treat, right? No rushing eating sounds awesome.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth! And @yzzi, when you have 2 yr old twins (a boy and a girl), just a babysitter for 3 hours is gold. We have no idea what 3 days is like!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Chris, we go to HHI a couple times a year.  We don't do tennis or golf, so no help there.  Lots of posh places to eat as well as not so posh, lol.  CQ's in Sea Pines Plantation is a great posh place.  We like to stay inside the Plantation so we can go to the marina w/o having to pay the $5 every day. There's a number of things in the way boat rides at the marina.  We like to take the "Sunset Dolphin Cruise" when the weather is nice.  I think you can do the "parachute behind a power boat" thing at the marina.  There's a coal fired pizza place near the main circle that we like a lot also called Paulies.  There is a BBQ sort of place, but don't bother if you are looking for good BBQ as good as what you can do.  It's just a BBQ restaurant.  I hope you rented bikes in advance if you want some.  Otherwise during the summer, it can be hard to find available rentals.  We went on July 4 week once (our first time) and didn't realize how hard it would be.  The "nature" kayak tours are fun, but damn, it near killed us.  Had to take a nap when we got home, lol! 

One thing, if someone tells you to visit Daufuskie Island, and that the restaurant at the dock has a great buffet lunch, er, uh, don't believe them.  The island is moderately interesting.  We took Scooby the wonder dog and loved the golf cart.  He loved it so much he put his paw on my foot on the gas peddle so we would go faster, lol!  (I have a photo somewhere....)

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chris_Wang
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks! The Whiz has spoken...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    BTW... A weekend w/o kids? I'd be using room service a lot ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth! And @yzzi, when you have 2 yr old twins (a boy and a girl), just a babysitter for 3 hours is gold. We have no idea what 3 days is like!
    Amen - Two yong kids at home so a few hours is great. 

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    There is a hole in the wall place called the Sea Shack.  You have to stand in line outside, and they only let folks in as tables open up.  Super casual place.  Always a long line, so go early.  Good local seafood at reasonable price.  It is off a side road near one of the traffic circles--you will have to look up address.  Have fun. 
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

Oh, they actually have a website for the Sea Shack:

http://seashackhhi.com/

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    @SmokinTiger81 Sounds like my kind of place. Thanks!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    You really need to try Roastfish and Cornbread. Awesome local chef and worth the short drive.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

@Chris:  Just be sure and report back after the trip. ( And, if Sea Shack opens at 5, then go get in line at 4:30.  That 30 minutes will probably be the shortest wait time all night.)

Hope you all have a great anniversary trip.  Congrats.

• tulocay
    Options
    +1 on the Sea Shack. I believe the chef that used to be there is the guy that opened up Roastfish and Cornbread.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Options

Sea Shack is a great spot. 

You also have to try Lowcountry Backyard.  It's a great lunch spot.  http://www.hhbackyard.com/ourmenu.html

For Italian, Michael Anthonys. http://www.michael-anthonys.com/

For something nicer give the Sage Room.  http://www.thesageroom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53

Have a couple of drinks at the Tiki Hut near the Holiday Inn at Coligny.  It's on the beach and is a real relaxed place.   

If you need help with the golf courses let me know.  I have played six or seven in the area.  If you can play in the afternoon you will save a ton of cash. 

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    Thanks @Mauch5! The sticks are staying back since SWMBO doesn't play golf.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    @tulocay So should we go to both spots, or just SS?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

@chris--I would think you would want to try a couple of places.  One other pretty cool place we always go is Pepper's Porch.  Really cool old building, it is off the island back in Bluffton--not too far a drive , you can google it and decide whether it is worth driving to.  Yelp reviews were sort of mixed on it, but we always have had a good experience there. 

HH is great place to bike, so worth doing that too if you have bikes or rent them.

• WRA
    WRA Posts: 14
    Options
    Agree on The Sage Room for fine dining American/Seafood dishes, for seafood I like Hudson's or the Old Oyster Factory near the beginning of the island. Have fun riding bikes around on the island and relaxing on the beach
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    There is a hole in the wall place called the Sea Shack.  You have to stand in line outside, and they only let folks in as tables open up.  Super casual place.  Always a long line, so go early.  Good local seafood at reasonable price.  It is off a side road near one of the traffic circles--you will have to look up address.  Have fun. 
    Can't interest the wife in Sea Shack, lol!  It's just not her kind of place.  To find it, look for Truffles.  You can see that from Pope Ave.  If you are at Truffles, you are within spitting distance of Sea Shack.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    Rough Draft:

Headed to Roastfish & Cornbread tonight

Lowcountry Backyard tomorrow for lunch

Sea Shack tomorrow night

Paulies Saturday for lunch

The Sage Room Saturday night

Thanks for all the help! If any of these fall through, there are a couple places on this list that we will get to.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• tulocay
    Options
    i hope you like roastfish and cornbread. I was just there 3 weeks ago and will be going back in about another 3 weeks. I forgot to mention that their can be quite a wait for a table.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Chris_Wang
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @tulocay If we hadn't been recommended by someone on the egg site; in other words, if R&C had been recommended to us by a "regular" friend, we probably wouldn't have waited over an hour for a table. BUT we know what eggers like, and we like that. So we waited and the payoff was well worth it. As simple as it sounds, the hush puppies were the best I've ever had. SWMBO had fish tacos that were superb, and the seasoning used for my blackened red snapper was amazing. Thanks again for pointing us in that direction!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    +1 on Lowcountry Backyard @Mauch5. Left Mere at the beach, called in a Charleston Fried Green Tomato BLT, Fried Flounder sandwich, cornbread, and some cream cheese whipped potatoes. I just picked it up and headed back to the beach with two boxes that smell INCREDIBLE.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    @

We like to stay inside the Plantation so we can go to the marina w/o having to pay the $5 every day

We wound up eating at The Crazy Crab instead of Paulies. I think the Marina was one of our favorite stops. We sat out behind the 18th green and watched a couple of groups finish their round of golf. We also enjoyed driving around looking at the mansions back there. Thanks for steering us that way!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    @WRA @Mauch5 Sage was great! What an atmosphere. We didn't get to sit at the chef's bar, but we did have a great view from our table. Thanks for the advise!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer