Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Cleaning

Options
Anyone have any good tips on how to clean the stock grate? Any way to give it back the metallic look it had on day 1?

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Clean?  Clean?  Who does that?

I just leave the grid on after I'm through cooking and bump the temp for a few minutes.

I doubt that there is any way to bring back the stainless steel look.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2013
    Options
    You can never get back to showroom shine, but if you really do what to clean it up, once it really gets crudy buy yourself a replacement garbage can lid so you don't scratch up your kitchen sink and use it as a shallow soaking pan. Then DAWN makes a great product that eats crud in 30 minutes. A stiff brush and you're set to go!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Oven cleaner, steel wool and a pressure washer. Oh, I never clean mine. Scrape when it's hot.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    I just leave mine on and scrub it when it's hot to get the buil up off. With 2 boys in travel baseball and cub scouts, thisnhasnt been an area i've decided I should spend that amount of time!
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    henapple said:
    Oven cleaner, steel wool and a pressure washer. Oh, I never clean mine. Scrape when it's hot.

Yeah...why remove all that hard-earned flavor enhancer?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'll load up the Egg during cool down and clean off the large pieces of gunk.  Can get it pretty clean just doing that.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    Used the grill stone last weekend and it brought my grates back to steel. Worked great! https://www.earthstoneinternational.com/cleaning/grill-stone
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • gregk232
    gregk232 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!!
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    I guess I am against removing Flavor, I say leave them alone.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    With my old $50 water smoker, I cleaned the SS grates religiously after every cook, soaking them in hot water and white vinegar in a garbage can lid overnight like RRP, then scrubbed in soapy water with those green pad thingies.  
    With the Egg, I've only scraped them after heating up.  Raised, I use a bristle brush while on the egg (and I'm searching for an alternate after reading the loose bristle horror stories here); down low, I'd either remove the grill while hot and scrub on a stone, or use a handheld brush that the handle kept falling off of (I finally threw that away, and used a crumpled piece of alum. foil).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    gregk232 said:

Anyone have any good tips on how to clean the stock grate? Any way to give it back the metallic look it had on day 1?

Use a ball of aluminum foil. Trick I learned on the forum. Works great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC