Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel modification...savin' money

2»

Comments

• Sorry if any of my comments were construed as negative, I was just passing on what someone else taught me regarding how to position/turn the stock daisy wheel in such a manner that it does not change its setting when you open the lid.  It works like a charm and I was appreciative when it was explained to me so just passing on info.  If someone wants to go this new alternative wingnut route, then certainly free to do so. 

I really don't see what you or anyone else here did wrong.

Just seemed like he was catching some grief. Sorry for misunderstanding. I line mine up and dnt have a lot of problems until I need to use the bigger vent in the daisy. It still wants to close then no matter how i line it up.

Little Rock, AR

• You wrote:  "Just seemed like he was catching some grief. Sorry for misunderstanding. I line mine up and dnt have a lot of problems until I need to use the bigger vent in the daisy. It still wants to close then no matter how i line it up. "

I don't know how it could still be closing on you if you line up screws like shown in photos earlier--it is a matter of gravity--once the screws are lined up the screw holding the larger disc is at the highest point when you open the lid, so the big disc hangs straight down--can't figure out how yours is moving when you open the lid???--this would be defying gravity.

• Obviously Im not doing it right. Ill look at pics on my computer. Cant see it too great on ifone. Thx.

Little Rock, AR

• You wrote:  "Just seemed like he was catching some grief. Sorry for misunderstanding. I line mine up and dnt have a lot of problems until I need to use the bigger vent in the daisy. It still wants to close then no matter how i line it up. "

I don't know how it could still be closing on you if you line up screws like shown in photos earlier--it is a matter of gravity--once the screws are lined up the screw holding the larger disc is at the highest point when you open the lid, so the big disc hangs straight down--can't figure out how yours is moving when you open the lid???--this would be defying gravity.

I went out and looked. I was under impression that the outer screw had to stay centered of the dome. I see now. Im a dumbass. Thx for setting me straight.

Little Rock, AR

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2013
    henapple said:
    This happens from time to time. Someone post something they're proud of and folks jump on them and tell the poster how they should be doing it. Who cares. He spent $2 and created something he's happy with.
    You been hitting the PBR?  :)) :))
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sam Adams... Had a day off.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    henapple said:
    Sam Adams... Had a day off.

A step up from the db beer. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    db?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    At my house that means "damned Budweiser"
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Once upon a time, I entertained the thought of cleaning all of the 'gunk' out from the underside of my daisy wheel. Luckily I remembered the threads like this, with people complaining about the wheel sliding around on them while opening and closing. I really haven't had the problem in years. I have to use the ash rake to tap my vents to the position that they need to be in.