Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder posted from iPhone and etiquette question.

Options
Hello all,
Doing a shoulder today (started last night and went like a champ O/N) and wanted to try posting from iPhone. Let me know if the pic ends up flipped or something.

Question- we were invited to a BBQ this afternoon and I was thinking of bringing this as pulled pork. Is that cool, or am I being a jerk if I upstage the host? Not trying to be cocky or anything, but he's no foodie, just doing burgers and chicken on a gasser. Should I make egg rolls or something more appetizer like instead?

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Take the pork. Just be courteous to the host and thank him for allowing you to be there, Receive the compliments with little fan fair. Understand your situation, recently had to eat in-laws,"bbq" , was terrible. Be expected to cook from this day forward.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I would ask before taking the pork, no value in bending him all out of shape if you steal the show.

Gerhard
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You question has a portion of your answer. Upstage your host and jerk in the same sentence is a reasonable indicator. Great food is not half as good as mediocre food in good company.

I'd let the host shine as much as possible, and not better his main. If you can come up w. a side using the PP, go for it.

I 'd try turning it into a "paté." Mix some in a blender w. cream cheese and a dash of sauce. Mix more shreds in, maybe some pecan crumbles. Add nachos for dipping.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks guys, good advice. Reached out to the host and he doesn't mind either way. Think I might try egg rolls. Anyone here done those? Wondering if it should pull or chop the pork.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Reaching out to the host to get his "okay", covers your bases.

As gorgeous as that butt looks, I'd certainly pull it and make up a little Carolina-style vinegar sauce.  Your host will no doubt appreciate it. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon