Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Level BGE Cooking Grid Rusting on Extender

Options
Last year I purchased a 3 tier BGE Cooking Grid for the sole purpose of cold smoking fish and have used it for several months with no complaints. I recently participated in the group buy of a grill extender and thought that one of the grills from the 3 tier would be a good option for use on the extender. The size was perfect and it was strong enough to avoid bending. Unfortunately, the chrome plated steel rusted bad after only one use in a regular cook. I am in south Florida and the humidity is high, but I would think that the chrome would hold up longer than just one cook. Anyone else having the same problem with rust?

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    as far as the rust what I would do is get some Brillo and scrub the rust off I would assume it is just surface rust after you remove the rust I would coat it with olive oil or vegetable oil or even canolla  oil I would think that after that you should be fine let me know how you make out 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    It has been unusually rainy this summer and humid - of course, there's always a problem with cast iron rusting unless after every cook you scrub with steel wool and then oil - I don't do that - this summer I've noticed that it's happening with the ceramic grill that came with the BGE - I've just sprayed with oil and used a wire brush before cooking but I'm wondering what everyone else is doing about rust and the extent of a problem they think it is?
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Once the grid gets nice and hot, the rust seems to brush off easily
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    as far as the rust what I would do is get some Brillo and scrub the rust off I would assume it is just surface rust after you remove the rust I would coat it with olive oil or vegetable oil or even canolla  oil I would think that after that you should be fine let me know how you make out 
    I was able to clean the rust off the grill well enough to oil and use it again. However, I am disappointed in the quality of the chrome on steel grill (considering BGE prices)
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Stainless is your friend
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Pay for stainless, pay for chrome plated...you do get what you pay for.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA