Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eastman Big Kahuna

Options
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GISCDK/ref=asc_df_B003GISCDK1983864?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003GISCDK&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=878700301694532992&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this puppy?

I'm looking for a high-BTU portable burner to wok on. Sometimes I don't feel like going through the motions of starting up the egg, and want something that will get me there quicker, or something I can use if I'm cooking something else on the egg.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i use one like this with the flat top, it came with the turkey fry pans, a smaller chicken fry pan etc. what i like about it is the flat top, very stable with a dutch oven, ci fry pan, big pot for seafood boils, i have a piece of 8 inch (i think its 8 inch) pipe that sits on top for the wok. its pretty indestructible. the top of the one you picked looks to be less usable for a bunch of other style cooks, i prefer the flat top and avoid the ones with a hoop to supprt the pot as it causes other problems. i use mine mostly for big lobster cooks when the price goes down below 3 bucks a pound

.http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I guess I'm the other camp from @fishlessman, mine is used only for a wok, but then we don't do lobster.
    Mine is an older Eastman (garage sale), fixed legs. it has a similar three point support for the cooking vessel as the one you show. I don't wok on my egg because I find for the cooks I do there is no easy temp control. The burner is ideal, from 5,000 BTU to over 50,000 BTU in seconds. Only way to go for outdoor stir fry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • miguelramosv
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Eastman... I like that it has a tripod so I can keep my wok at waist level.

I think this thing will take the hassle out of my wokking. Love my egg, but I don't really feel like going through the motions for what amounts to be 3 to 5 minutes of cooking.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I just ordered one of these.   I have seen local restaurants use them and know they get very hot very fast.  Easy to store, minimal setup. I have a table for my egg, so this will go on there when I use it either with or instead of the egg.  I ordered the gas canisters from Amazon, but they are available locally from restaurant supply houses and oriental groceries.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY